New Seagate 2TB sometimes recongized in BIOS.

BiffMgriff

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
Hello,

This is my first PC built and I have a MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo with a SSD plugged into SATA 1 and my seagate 2TB into SATA 2.

When I first booted it up the seagate did not recognized the drive but did recognize the SSD. So I though maybe I didn't have the SATA cable plugged in the whole way. Anyway I installed win7 64 on SSD and the seagate didn't show up in win7 either.

After trying a different SATA cable I was able to get the seagate HDD to recognize on SATA port 5 but it was 3.0 Ghz not 6.0 like the SATA 2 port. I rebooted and switched back to SATA 2 and it finally recognized in BIOS. When in windows I had to go to diskmanagement and reformat the seagate for it to recognize in windows. So I thought the problem was solved and I started installed a game on the seagate. Installed it and even play it a little. Later I shut down the PC and when it booted back up the seagate was not recognized again in BIOS or windows. After swapping back to SATA 5 I got it to recognize then back to SATA 2 (6.0 Ghz) and it recognized again. But when I boot down the PC and start up it does see the drive.

Do you guys think I need to reset the BIOS?? or do you think I have a bad seagate drive out of the box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BiffMgriff

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
*After swapping back to SATA 5 I got it to recognize then back to SATA 2 (6.0 Ghz) and it recognized again. But when I boot down the PC and start up it does NOT see the drive.