do I need a thief

Hi ng, due to having characters I enjoy the banter of I am lacking a thief,
so my question is can I manage ok without one - I do have a bard and I want
to try Kelsley - can I get buy on spells such as knock, detect trap etc.

Its a long while since I last played and I tend to not go for theiving.

Oh btw can anyone please tell me where I may find Mr Kelsley?
And when Wachito was in my party there was no portrait is this normal for
the mod?

Thx in advance

ATB
Chrimlord Evergrim
aka The Chris

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com
5 answers Last reply
More about thief
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "The Chris" <chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi ng, due to having characters I enjoy the banter of I am lacking a
    thief,
    > so my question is can I manage ok without one - I do have a bard and I
    want
    > to try Kelsley - can I get buy on spells such as knock, detect trap etc.

    You can do without a thief, although having one makes live easier.
    Mages can cast the Knock spell, to open locked doors and chests.
    You can buy this spell. Clerics can cast Find Traps, although this
    spell doesn't have a very long duration. Something like one turn.
    If you are a mage, your familiar may have the ability to detect
    traps. Monks can also detect traps. Other thieving skills, like
    backstab, set traps, stealth are not required for the party.

    The one and only skill that you are really going to miss is the disarm trap
    skill. Only a thief can do that. So one of your party members
    must sacrifice him/herself and activate the trap. Your best option
    is probably a mage with Stone Skin, Mirror Image and (minor)
    Spell Deflection. This mage can take directed damage, area
    damage and directed spells. You can add Negative Plane
    Protection (cast by a cleric or druid) to avoid level drain.
    Other improvements: Blur and Improved Invisibility to improve
    your saving throws.

    Of course there is always the level 11 spell Reload...
    No saving throws, never fails.

    > Its a long while since I last played and I tend to not go for theiving.
    >
    > Oh btw can anyone please tell me where I may find Mr Kelsley?

    Try the Goverment District, SW area.

    Wim
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "The Chris" <chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<Qtddc.42508$Id.27741@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > Hi ng, due to having characters I enjoy the banter of I am lacking a thief,
    > so my question is can I manage ok without one - I do have a bard and I want
    > to try Kelsley - can I get buy on spells such as knock, detect trap etc.
    >
    > Its a long while since I last played and I tend to not go for theiving.
    >
    > Oh btw can anyone please tell me where I may find Mr Kelsley?
    > And when Wachito was in my party there was no portrait is this normal for
    > the mod?
    >
    > Thx in advance
    >
    > ATB
    > Chrimlord Evergrim
    > aka The Chris

    One advantage of a Thief is that you get the experience points for
    unlocking and disarming, whereas if you just bash them or 'Knock' them
    (with fighters, for instance), you get nada.

    There's a similar advantage to having a mage, as you can get
    experience points for memorizing spells.

    In both cases, you seem to get an unwarranted number of points for
    such petty tasks. But I guess it makes up for Icewind Dale in which
    you get no points for opening/disarming traps with a thief (which to
    my mind, makes a thief almost worthless in the IWD series). Can't
    remember if a mage gets points for memorizing in IWD. Don't think so,
    but I could be wrong; big surprise, I know :)

    DJ
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Suddenly, Wim Dekker, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
    exclaimed:

    > The one and only skill that you are really going to miss is the disarm
    > trap skill. Only a thief can do that. So one of your party members
    > must sacrifice him/herself and activate the trap.

    One of the things I noticed in BG2 was that traps often can be
    circumvented. I did the Unseeing Eye without a thief, and once I found the
    traps with Find Trap, there was enough space on the sides to carefully walk
    around them. In BG1 almost every trap stretched from one side of the
    hallway to the other.

    --
    Billy Yank

    "The squirrel has not yet found the acorn that will grow to the oak that
    will be cut to form the cradle of the babe that will grow to slay me."
    - Neil Gaiman "Stardust"

    Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "djarvinen" <jarvinen@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > One advantage of a Thief is that you get the experience points for
    > unlocking and disarming, whereas if you just bash them or 'Knock' them
    > (with fighters, for instance), you get nada.
    >
    > There's a similar advantage to having a mage, as you can get
    > experience points for memorizing spells.
    >
    > In both cases, you seem to get an unwarranted number of points for
    > such petty tasks. But I guess it makes up for Icewind Dale in which
    > you get no points for opening/disarming traps with a thief (which to
    > my mind, makes a thief almost worthless in the IWD series). Can't
    > remember if a mage gets points for memorizing in IWD. Don't think so,
    > but I could be wrong; big surprise, I know :)

    That's as it was in (pre Tutu) BG1, xp for traps, locks and spells was only
    added in BG2, after IWD was released.

    Patrick
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Thx guys, disarm traps was my big concern, it will be like my first BG game
    when played half of it before realising how to use the thief skill, Khalid
    was getting well roughed up being the trap disarmer)

    ATB
    The Chris

    There is a solution!"

    http://mail.spaminspector.com

    "The Chris" <chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi ng, due to having characters I enjoy the banter of I am lacking a
    thief,
    > so my question is can I manage ok without one - I do have a bard and I
    want
    > to try Kelsley - can I get buy on spells such as knock, detect trap etc.
    >
    > Its a long while since I last played and I tend to not go for theiving.
    >
    > Oh btw can anyone please tell me where I may find Mr Kelsley?
    > And when Wachito was in my party there was no portrait is this normal for
    > the mod?
    >
    > Thx in advance
    >
    > ATB
    > Chrimlord Evergrim
    > aka The Chris

    > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
    > There is a solution!"
    >
    > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
    > The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    > http://mail.spaminspector.com

Games Spam Video Games