Explain 16+2 power phase vs. 8+2

ethanw

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I just ordered an Asrock Extreme4. It seems mostly comparable to the Asus p8p67 pro. But I just saw something I didn't notice before: Asus is 16+2, Asrock is 8+2. I will have an i5 2500k or an i7 2600k, GTX 570 super-clocked, but maybe go SLI with 570's down the road. I plan on eventually over-clocking, but not in an extreme way. Maybe 4.3 or so on air cooling for the CPU.

Will the power phase make much of a difference? I don't really know what it is. I did some research, but I'm still unclear on actual performance advantage. I got tired of waiting for the Asus to be available again, but now I'm wondering if I made the right choice. :??:

Solution
Anything much more, in P67, than 6+2 or 8+2 won't do much if anything to improve performance. The SB {Sandy Bridge} has a much more efficient CPU than the i7 Bloomfield or Gulftown where 16+2 phase is a 'good' thing. Some P67's offer 24 Phases like the UD7 which is nuts even on Nitrogen - selling point if shopping phases only.

The additional Phases are typically spit into channels and the analogy is like 'gears' so the 24/6 Channels or 4 Phases per Channel. So the 'real advantage' is lifespan. More Phases = Less Load per channel, and to a more limited extent lower heat. The +2 refers, in most instances, to the phases dedicated for the DIMM slots/RAM with the remainder to the CPU also in the form of VTT 'Bus'.

Nice article ->...
You will be fine the more power phases then the electric circuitry is broken up in more branches on the board. Supposedly giving cleaner regulation to individual components. It probably allows for a fraction bigger overclock on a system that has fewer phases but then there are other limiting factors that can come into play when overclocking before the motherboard.

Anything much more, in P67, than 6+2 or 8+2 won't do much if anything to improve performance. The SB {Sandy Bridge} has a much more efficient CPU than the i7 Bloomfield or Gulftown where 16+2 phase is a 'good' thing. Some P67's offer 24 Phases like the UD7 which is nuts even on Nitrogen - selling point if shopping phases only.

The additional Phases are typically spit into channels and the analogy is like 'gears' so the 24/6 Channels or 4 Phases per Channel. So the 'real advantage' is lifespan. More Phases = Less Load per channel, and to a more limited extent lower heat. The +2 refers, in most instances, to the phases dedicated for the DIMM slots/RAM with the remainder to the CPU also in the form of VTT 'Bus'.

Nice article -> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-The-Motherboard-Voltage-Regulator-Circuit/616/4

The Intel P67 MOBO with its puny 4+1 can OC to 5GHz. Yep, it won't last long...so long warranties are nice!

Solution

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
the only advantage of higher phase count on P67 is ability to sustain very high overclock longer and nothing more than that,as mention already ..you will be just fine and congrats on very nice and hard to get mobo,you going to love it