Gaming rig ready to order???

thatTVdinner

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
neweggbuild2.jpg

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Whenever I am satisfied with my setup

BUDGET RANGE: 700-1000 dollars including tax and shipping.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Sony Vegas 9, Adobe After Effects CS5-

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I have mouse, keyboard, monitor, usb sound card... and I am getting a copy of Windows 7 from a friend for free :bounce:

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Irrelevant

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200 (already own a 26.5 inch- she is sexy)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Honestly there are so many options that it makes my mind hurt. The reason I cannot pick out a motherboard is because I do not know whether or not I want to invest in Crossfire. I can use the extra money saved (possibly up to $100) on a better cpu or video card. Thoughts? I am interested in letting this system be upgradeable... for a while...

thatTVdinner

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Nice setup, but if I decide to add another 5850 in lets say a year or so will it not do as well as it could on two 16x 16x?? I've been seeing graphs and at higher resolutions and 4x does not work up to the full load but 8x comes very close to 16x. Boards with dual 16x and such are the ones I have been told to get but they are very expensive and I'd rather spend more money on the graphics card and such.

What do you think?

secranox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
-If you're going the extra mile with G. Skill - get the CL7's, not the CL9's.
-Get the Samsung F3 1TB drive for $70. It's cheaper, faster, and more spacious than your WD drive.
-You don't need an anti-static wrist strap. Just ground yourself before working with delicate components.
-Get the 5850 that's selling for $290 right now instead, that'll save you $15.
-As long as you have two 2.0 8x PCI Express lanes, you'll be set for CrossFire and SLI. You only need dual x16 lanes if you're gaming at 2560x1600 or higher. The dual 8x lanes will not bottleneck with 1920x1200 or below. On these lanes, only the AMOUNT of data sent to and from the graphics card counts, not the visual fidelity; 1920x1200 and below will produce a fixed amount of pixels converted to data that is sent over those lanes.