RAM Help

csidog

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hello,

Ok I need help choosing between RAM:

1x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB)
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX31392%28ME%29.aspx

OR

2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX32642%28ME%29.aspx

I have an ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard, and i5 2500k processor.

What is the difference between getting two single sticks of RAM and a kit of two sticks of RAM?
I want to go with the Vengeance Blue but my local computer store only has the single sticks.

What do YOU guys think is a better option?

Or if you have a better option that is less than 120ish, tell me please :)

THANKS!!!! :D

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Fewer stick are always better because they'll put less strain on the CPU's memory controller, leading to more stability in general( mostly when you're overclocking), and you'll also have the expandability if you ever wanted to have 16gb.

Short answer: 2 x 4GB is better

csidog

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Which one would you choose? theTwo sticks of Vengeance Blue 4gb, or the Vengeance 2x4gb kit?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

But you didn't answer anything?

csidog

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Ok thanks! One quick question, I have heard that they are a bit taller than other memory. Will they fit under a coolermaster hyper 212 + with my motherboard?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's Hardware's review of the Hyper 212 Plus tells you how much memory clearance the cooler provides, look it up!

I would have thought that cooler would be thin enough to fit beside the memory anyway?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
I have a hyper 212+ aswell, and a much shorter heatsink XMS3 memory, and it barely fits the slot closer to the cpu, like 1mm to spare, so no, this won't fit but ONLY when in the first two slots, you can just put them in the 2 slots farther from the cpu and they'll still work perfectly, only a problem if you later want to add another kit.

They have it cheaper at newegg too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Though any XMS3 or dominator kit or any other sticks from other brand should work fine, all that "sandy bridge i5, i7" certified stuff is pure marketing gimmick, DDR3 is DDR3, as long as it stays within motherboard specs ( includes voltage) it should be fine.

My "designed for core i5" XMS3 works like a charm on my Phenom II rig, it even overclocks pretty well too.

csidog

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I am not going to add RAM later on, 8gb is alot. I was originally going to get 4, but I changed my mind lol. So does it matter what slots my RAM go in? Like should I put them in 2 and 4 or 3 and 4?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Counting from the CPU socket, skip the first slot, install into the next slot, skip the third slot, install into the last slot. The CPU uses the termination built into the memory itself, so you fill the last slot of each channel first.

csidog

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Okay, so I should be able to fit the memory I want into the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU with the CM 212 +.

One FINAL question haha, can you use a single 4gb memory stick with another single 4gb memory stick? If so would it be equal in its performance compared to the 2x4gb kit?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You can as long as they are identical sticks. You can also do it with 2 different speeds as long as it's the same "organization" with the slower stick in the first slot (slot 2 in your case), but that's too complicated and chancy.

jDa5id

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I have the same motherboard and am looking for RAM. Neither of the two you mentioned are on the support list from Asrock (http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=P67%20Extreme4).

Which leads to my question. Is the manufacturers memory support list all that will work or all that has been tested? I'd like to get 8GB (2x4GB) G Skill or Corsair RAM but all that is listed for the Extreme 4 is Adata, Kingston or Geil. have others had success using non supported memory and what should you not do when selecting non supported memory?

jDa5id

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I just asked this same question again in another thread earlier. Please disregard. When I posted it I got a message from Tom's Hardware saying the forums were temporarily unavailable and I didn't think it posted so I asked again. Obviously now I see that it did post and it was sufficiently answered.

jDa5id

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I just asked this same question again in another thread earlier. Please disregard. When I posted it I got a message from Tom's Hardware saying the forums were temporarily unavailable and I didn't think it posted so I asked again. Obviously now I see that it did post and it was sufficiently answered.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

OR you can dumb down the faster stick manually regardless of what slot they're in.

And the supported memory list are the ones that have been tested BTW.

angelescityflo80

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
hi there, just followed your thread and I have a question too.
I understand what crashman said about startign in slot 2 and leaving out 3....
If I only have on 4GB module for example... should I stick it in slot 2 as well or in the first one?!
TNX in advance
Flo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you only have one stick, put it in the second slot away from the CPU.

If you have two sticks, put them in the second and forth slot away from the CPU.

If you have three sticks, put them in the first, second, and forth slot away from the CPU

If you have four sticks, put them in all four slots.