GIGABYTE 260 GTX HDMI Sound Problem..

Dstt

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I bought a GIGABYTE 260 gtx Super Overclocked a few months back shown here.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2854

I currently bought an HDMI 25' CL2 1.3 Cable to run it to my Toshiba TV in my living room. I get 1920 res at 1080i and it looks great but there is no sound.

When plugged in, digital audio pops up in sound devices and I enable it as default. Also in the NVIDIA drivers I set it to HDMI (with sound) and still nothing. I've went through my TV properties and switched to PCM and messed with all the audio settings and still nothing.

I know the card came with a SPDIF cable but I thought that was only needed if you use the DVI --> HDMI conversion and not from HDMI to HDMI.

So do I need to hook up the SPDIF? IF so that really sucks because I have a Fatal1ty AN9 32x mobo with the Audiomax Hi-Def 7.1 sound card it came with and although it does have SPDIF in and out, it does not have the two jumper pins for it and neither does my MOBO.

Update:
I actually gave up waiting for someone to reply on the gigabyte forums and decided to try a few things but long story short; I winded up hooking up a second sound card, Sound Blaster Audigy LS that has spdif I/O and even AFTER hooking it up to that and making that the default sound it still would not produce any sound on the TV.

When I tested Dolby Digital and DTS Audio, it just made a click noise. When I tried WMA Pro Audio it continually made a annoying fast chain clicking noise.

Any Suggestions?

--------------------
Case: APEVIA X-DISCOVERY-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Motherboard: ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 32X
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.2ghz
Cooler: Gigabyte G-Power Cooler
SLI: GIGABYTE 260 GTX Super OC Edition
RAM: 4Gb - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) /// OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HDD: 250Gb/250Gb/120Gb/80Gb/80Gb Western Digital - Two 80GB in Raid 0 as main OS
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Monitor: SAMSUNG 2233bw High Glossy Black 22" @ 1680x1050

notty22

Distinguished
Yes , you need to hook that cable up.
The gtx 260 has NO ONBOARD audio, there is no other way to get sound.

This is from the gigabyte manual, available online pdf here
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/vga_manual_n75so-18i(n26so-896i)_e.pdf Page 11
- 11 - Hardware Installation
You are now ready to proceed with the installation of the graphics card driver. Please refer to next
chapter for detailed instructions.
Step 4.
To connect an HDMI TV, follow the steps below to enable the S/PDIF in function for the graphics card.
Connect the provided S/PDIF cable to the graphics
card.
Connect the S/PDIF cable to the motherboard.
(the red wire connects to the S/PDIF out pin and
the black to the Ground pin)

edit:

This is where ATI's new 5 series has a edge.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/2
Speaking of audio, let’s quickly discuss the audio/video capabilities of the GTX 400 series. GF100 has the same audio/video capabilities as the 40nm GT 200 series launched late last year, so this means NVIDIA’s VP4 for video decoding (H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/MPEG-4 ASP) and internal passthrough for audio. Unfortunately the latter means that the GTX 400 series (and other first-generation Fermi derivatives) won’t be able to match AMD’s Radeon 5000 series in audio capabilities – NVIDIA can do compressed lossy audio(DD/DTS) and 8 channel uncompressed LPCM, but not lossless compressed audio formats such as DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. This leaves the HTPC crown safely in AMD’s hands for now.