Compaq Pavilion ZE5300 BIOS Password Problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 28, 2004 1:52:20 AM

Hello again, all. I seem to make a habit of buying Laptops with some
sort of password installed on it. Well, this time, I bought the
mentioned laptop at a local Pawnshop, and got a really good deal on
it. It runs a P4 at 2.4GHz, and has a respectable 60Gigger in it.

When I got it home, I tried to access the BIOS, and found that it is
password protected. Is there a way around this problem? Any
suggestions would be of great value to me. Many thanks for any advice
forthcoming!
September 26, 2008 10:33:07 PM

Customer : The laptop is switched off now
HP support : Now restart the notebook and keep pressing F2 to enter BIOS screen.
Customer : ok
Customer : ok - it says "Enter Password"
HP support : Did you set BIOS password to your notebook?
Customer : No
Customer : I've never set the BIOS password
HP support : If not you, someone has created the BIOS password.
Customer : ok
HP support : We need to know the password to make the changes in the BIOS.
Customer : Is there some way to reset the password?
Customer : The laptop is 5 years old - it could have been changed any anyone.
HP support : At this point of time, to disable the BIOS password, we have only one option to remove and reseat the CMOS battery.
Customer : Ok
Customer : How do I do that?
HP support : By removing and reseating the CMOS battery the password will be disabled.
Customer : ok
Customer : Is there a user manual?
HP support : I will provide the manual to remove and reseat the CMOS battery.
Customer : ok
HP support : Follow the instructions given in the manual.
HP support : Please give me 3 minutes of your time while I search the manual.
Customer : Ok
Customer : Actually, I have the manual here.

[Manual downloaded from HP support]

Customer : I am at the section where it says "Table 2-5. Removing Components" - "CMOS battery"
Customer : So, I can do that.
Customer : However, the procedure is very complex.
Customer : It involves removing the following components:
Customer : Keyboard cover(page 2-13), Speaker (page 2-15), Keyboard (page 2-16), Switchboard PCA(page 2-19), CD/DVD (page 2-20, Display (page 2-23)
Top case (page 2-26), Floppy (page 2-32), Heat sink (page 2-40), Motherboard (page 2-50).
Customer : So, is there any other way to reset the password?
HP support : The only ways to reset the password is either we should remember the password or with CMOS battery.
Customer : I heard that there is a "Service floppy disk" that can reset the floppy password, on the HP Pavilion ZE5300.
Customer : Is this correct?
HP support : Please give me 3 minutes of your time while I search the details.
Customer : Thank you.
HP support : You are welcome.
HP support : As from our records, it is not possible to do so.
Customer : If I took it into the a HP service depot, could they do this for me?
Customer : I mean, if I took it into a HP service depot, could they use a floppy disk to reset the BIOS password.
Customer : ?
HP support : It is your wish.
Customer : So: will the HP service depot be able to reset the password, using the service floppy?
HP support : They will remove and reseat the CMOS battery.
Customer : Okay, thank you for your time.
Customer : Thank you for your help.
Customer : Bye

September 28, 2008 5:35:56 PM

smt52 said:
HP support : The only ways to reset the password is either we should remember the password or with CMOS battery.
Gold!

But then again, it does depend on where the password is stored. .
September 22, 2009 2:42:20 AM

This information is intended for experienced users. It is not intended for basic users, hackers, or computer thieves. Please do not try any of following procedures if you are not familiar with computer hardware. I'll not be responsible for the use or misuse of this information, including personal injury, loss of data or hardware damage. So use it at your own risk.

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:
BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool Service: http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com/
!