How do i figure out my bandwidth

BKaz76

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello,
If i do an internet speed test, what do the results mean....like if I average 8.18 Mb/s Download and 1.10 Mb/s Upload and 60ms ping what does that mean my bandwidth is?

The download number represents how many bits per second your Internet connection can transfer from their system to yours. It’s represented in megabits (millions of bits) per second. So 8.18Mb/s is ~8,180,000 bits per second (it’s actually a little higher, but I’m fudging a bit to keep the math simple). The higher that number, the better.

The upload number represents how many bits per second your Internet connection can transfer from your system to theirs. It’s represented in megabits (millions of bits) per second. So 1.10Mb/s is ~1,100,000 bits per second (again, it’s actually a little higher, but for the fudging). The higher that number, the better.

The ping number represents the number of milliseconds (1/1000ths of a second) it takes for a simple data request to reach their system and return. So it took 60/1000 of a second in your case. This test is designed to measure responsiveness. It’s not all that important for everyday activities (browsing, email, even downloading), but gamers are especially interested since they desire/need a highly responsive system to support the fast paced action of many online games.