Is it worth going with Tri Channel?

G

Its been at least a year and half now, so its time to upgrade my machine. But since I've been away from the gaming/ computer community for a while (I hit 16 and other things just took over, you know?) anyway, so I'm deciding just to build a new one. I know what i plan on getting, but CPU, Mobo and Memory remain all some what, confusing? If it is actually worth getting Tri Channel, then i will up my budget. But I'm only going to be using my PC for gaming, and im wanting this one to blow Crysis 2 out the window (Over exaggerated). So is it worth getting Tri Channel? It will be combined with a GTX 480 (Is that even worth getting i hear there are new Nvidia cards coming out) and what ever CPU 860 for Dual Channel and 930 for Tri Channel, as far as memory goes ill stick with the lowest bidder same with mobo, most likely asus.

So what is your opinion? I mean i don't want to spend an extra 300 quid just for a few extra pixels, i want aliens popping out the ******* screen (Once again over exaggerated).

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
tri channel is good of course.

Getting gtx 480? well if you want to go sli in future then f yeah do it. otherwise may be wait or get it if you are into 1080p gaming.

for crysis 2? gtx480 will be real good, but you cant blow it out of the window with that gpu alone and even an i7.

G

Question? What would be the best monitor to get for a GTX 480? thanks?

Short answer no.

The Intel nehalem architecture and memory controllers are very good able to feed the cpu with data so well that any speed or latency ram will work very well. Triple channel ram has nice performance numbers in synthetic benchmarks, but in real life performance or fps, it might be worth 1-2% It is better to spend your ram budget on more ram vs faster ram.

If you want to play crysis very well at high settings, spend a good part of your budget on the graphics card/s.
GTX480 may be ok for 1920 x 1200 play. If you have multiple monitors or 2560 x 1600, then you are looking at a GTX480 sli configuration.