Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hardware failure?

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2010 11:30:01 PM

Hello everyone!

To the point-my system is about 2 years old now, and within the last two months I've had some issues with a "stuttering" OS (first WinXP, then not nearly as bad when I installed Win7). I would be doing something and the computer would "stop" just for a few seconds, video playback would freeze as would sound and all input functions. I've also had one of my hard disks show up as Bzbzbzbzbzbz. I've dug a little bit, and from what I can tell this means the HD is on its way out.

Hear is where my dilemma is: the only time this happens is when the drive is idle. When I'm playing a game, there are no problems, at least as far as I can tell. As a matter of fact, as soon as I posted this the drive in question is now refusing to be accessed by Windows. Format and error checking are not functioning at any capacity for the drive. Disk management displays the drive as a RAW format, yet it was NTFS and loaded with my games just a few hours ago. I've attempted to format the drive after deleting the partition and disk management failed in that operation too.

My system specs:
Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.1GHz OC to 3.18
Patriot DDR2 800 OC
WD1600 160GB HD (OS drive)
WD2500 250 GB HD (media drive)
WD1500 Velociraptor 150GB HD (assumed problem drive)
8800GTX
SB Audigy SE

What are your thoughts on the issue? Is my hd failing and I just need to replace it? Would I be able to send it to WD for replacement?

While it's on my mind, my system has a problem with shutting down correctly. If I choose shutdown or restart from any program or the start menu, the system logs off and displays Shutting Down....but the system hangs there. I've tried creating a batch file with override commands to get the machine off, but I have had to use the reset switch or hold the power button on the case to turn it off. Not sure if this could be related or not since the problem drive isn't my OS disk.

All help is appreciated. :-)

More about : hardware failure

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2010 12:15:47 AM

Quote:
Would I be able to send it to WD for replacement?
You can verify the warranty yourself on WD' site. Do you have the shutdown issue when the defective drive is disconnected?
June 29, 2010 4:17:47 AM

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, work is eating my time. I'll disconnect the drive this afternoon and reply with the results.
Related resources
July 14, 2010 7:20:24 PM

Sorry for necro'ing this topic, but I haven't been able to login for some reason and haven't had access to a computer other than a few minutes a day.

The system still hangs when I attempt to manually shut down the system even without that drive connected. However, the other morning I logged in and found that my computer had restarted because of Windows Update, which is peculiar because I've not been able to get my system to soft restart/shutdown.

a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 7:45:46 PM

Does it hang if you use "shutdown -s -f" or "shutdown -r -f"?
July 14, 2010 9:26:31 PM

Yes, I've attempted to use all of those commands in shortcuts and in the command prompt. No luck with them.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2010 1:32:16 AM

Since you had the issue with XP and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 didn't help, then you have a hardware issue. At this point you need to determine if the issue is with the SB card, the motherboard or the video card.
July 15, 2010 8:50:06 PM

Is there a chance that flashing the MB BIOS could resolve the issue?
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2010 10:28:59 PM

If you haven't already done so, you lose nothing flashing the latest BIOS.
July 16, 2010 12:32:49 AM

I'll flash the BIOS when I get up tomorrow along with removing the sound card to see if that's the problem.
July 17, 2010 6:03:47 PM

It seems I solved my shutdown issue. When I disconnected the faulty hard disk, I left the SATA cable connected to the motherboard. I plugged in my replacement drive and the system hung at POST, so I switched the port I had the drive attached to and viola-faster startup and apparently now I can shut down the computer. I've restarted/shutdown only twice thus far, but it seems to be working correctly. I also flashed the BIOS anyhow as mine was considerably older than the current one.

Thanks for your help, GhislainG.
July 17, 2010 6:04:38 PM

Best answer selected by ask7852.
!