Sign in with
Your question

Unable to restore to complte factory settings and software

Last response: in Storage
August 21, 2012 3:45:19 PM

Hi

I changed the hard drive in my Sony Vaio VPCCW26FG from a 500gb to a 750gb and when I try to restore from the recovery discs I made when I purchased it.

It restores the recovery partition and I think drive C but when it says remove disc and restart to restore programs to drive C, I get a recurring error message saying "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer , restart the installation" .

The only thing that is different is the hard drive size, but I kept the C drive partition to the factory default size.

Has anyone else had this problem and did you find an answer to it,
any help please.
a b G Storage
August 22, 2012 12:42:31 AM

Not exactly related but I just found out that Gateway restore disks made with the gateway restore software are no good. they pass validation and integrity checks and windows completes the installation, but the installation is no good, the only way i was able to restore function was to use an actual Windows disk then my choice of contacting microsoft and fixing the activation issues or purchasing a key online.

This is not an isolated incident. i've hared of this problem happening many times in the past from many manufacturers. I once ran into a Sony Vaio in 2004 where the factory restore disk had all the wrong drivers. even though the disk was made on the Vaio using the recovery software that came factory installed, the disks were for the wrong computer.
m
l
Related resources
!