Firewire options

methbreeder

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hey guys .......... ok heres the deal !! iam settings up a home studio and require a firewire audio interface for recording . Pll in recording forums dont know jack about the firewire options. iam planning to get the gigabyte 890fx ud5 . i hear it was a texas instrument firewire chip. just wanted to know if the firewire is good enough . like drivers issues , stability etc. also can someone suggest a good ram to go along with it . iam looking at the corsair dominator or the kingston ddr3 ..............cant wait for the answers ...cheers !!

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Yes, the {Apple cooperative} firewire IEEE 1394 is a Texas Instruments chipset, and yes the GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0) has 2 firewire IEEE 1394a ports on the I/O plus an internal header.

The IEEE 1394 is a very mature interface and the drivers are very stable. However, as in any Professional environment using a 'Consumer' MOBO/Components has it's inherent risks.

Professional or Production {Workstation} vs Home PC -- So you have to decide, how important the PC is meaning junking it up with 'Gaming' minded components and 'other' Apps isn't a very good idea. Ideally, use ECC with Xeon or Opteron CPU(s) and QVL Listed components only is the best to achieve optimum stability and predictability. Further, use...
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Yes, the {Apple cooperative} firewire IEEE 1394 is a Texas Instruments chipset, and yes the GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0) has 2 firewire IEEE 1394a ports on the I/O plus an internal header.

The IEEE 1394 is a very mature interface and the drivers are very stable. However, as in any Professional environment using a 'Consumer' MOBO/Components has it's inherent risks.

Professional or Production {Workstation} vs Home PC -- So you have to decide, how important the PC is meaning junking it up with 'Gaming' minded components and 'other' Apps isn't a very good idea. Ideally, use ECC with Xeon or Opteron CPU(s) and QVL Listed components only is the best to achieve optimum stability and predictability. Further, use install only the required Apps...

Solution