Your question

Dual Boot

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2010 4:28:29 AM

I'm gonna be buildin a computer for the first time... Here are the major parts...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 w/ Eyefinity

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D

Currently I am studying this step-by-step and it is apparently the most important step that scares me, step number 5. I actually haven't even read past that step because after clicking the link there I got pretty lost. I dunno what MOBO on that list is one I can compare to. I have never heard of a .kext file, so I stopped there, for now.

I am hoping to install the latest or best fit version of OSX to fit my build. I suppose it is hard to tell without trial and error, but from what I've seen/read it will probably be iPC or Snow Leopard.

Thanks,
Evan

P.S. I was also hoping to get a startup or bootup interface that looks like or is similar to this.

More about : dual boot

June 26, 2010 4:54:07 AM

I found these tutorials, but I still dunno what a kext is. There isn't anyone speaking in the video.

I suppose this is an issue that is hard for someone to help me with without more information.

I'll make a new post if I come across any troubles.
m
l
June 27, 2010 7:33:44 PM

I have built a couple of hackint0sh's and have a few words of wisdom:

1. It is MUCH easier to get the intel based systems that use the same cpus/chipsets as apple
2. It it much easier to get a vidcard that has an apple approved "twin"- NVidia

I built a netbook hackint0sh, a mac mini clone, and a MacPro clone (all last year)
m
l
!