Reset BIOS without BIOS screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
Few days back while going through BIOS setting i mistakenly changed Monitor settings from [AUTO] to [MANUAL] and since then while booting monitor remains blank for a while and then directly Windows Login screen is shown. But no BIOS setting screen [F2] is shown in the beginning.My monitor get traced after installation of OS, i think!

i want to reset BIOS to DEFAULT.
any help would be very appreciated, thanks!

Easy way to do this, which will work regardless of what motherboard you have, flip the switch on your power supply to off(0) and remove the silver button battery on the motherboard for 30 seconds, put it back in, turn the power supply back on, and boot up, it should reset you to factory defaults.

tritonofg

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I agree with hunter...just remember that ALL settings will be returned to factory defaults....will kill any raid arrays (unless you documented them and know which dis is what). If you had any OC settings you wil have to re-apply them

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Let's add a couple items to be sure it works. First, when you remove the button battery with no power cord attached, also look on the mobo for a set of 3 pins that say "BIOS Reset". Move the jumper on two pins to the other two pins for about 10 sec, then move it back to its "normal" position. THEN replace the button battery and restore power.

This will reset the BIOS. BUT just to be sure it has a good set of parameters to work with, you really should deliberately load in a set. As soon as you power up, go into BIOS Setup and look at one of the last tabs / screens for a place to Load one of several possible configurations. Load the Factory Default or Optimized Default set. Then Save and Exit to finish booting.

As tritinofg said, you will also have to re-set any custom settings you had before once this is up and running.

G

I have a dell dimension e521 that lost power in the middle of a bios flash update. Now i cant get anything but a yellow light and fans. no display or bios. I have tried to make a bootable bios update floppy but the computer wont boot from a floppy or a cd rom.

The only jumper i see on this board is a 2 pin jumper. I have tried to remove it and the cmos battery in many combinations but nothing is working.

Any suggestions other than trying to replace the bios chip or entire motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.