DVD not recognized in bios, GA-H67MA-UD2H

basta

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hello,
I've just swapped out my old DVD writer for a Samsung SH-S223 and it is not being recognized in the bios. The system is running a pair of WD SATA3 HDDs in RAID1 using the Intel Extreme HD app, the cd/dvd is set for first boot and my POST states that AHCI is not available and the bios itself shows that the secondary SATA ports are running in IDE mode.

My OS is Win7 Ultimate x64. FWIW I already edited the registry to allow AHCI as detailed in another thread here but obviously it isn't going to help if the bios can't locate the DVD in the first place. I've swapped the molex so it's not the connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

basta

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This mobo has 2 sata3 and 3 regular sata ports. I've tried all of the 3 ports available without success and all are showing as enabled in IDE mode in the bios.

I'll check on a model-specific driver, but aren't all DVDs PnP by now? It's already almost 2 years now that this one has been on the market.

--Just checked; no firmware, just a user's manual detailing how to install their TruDirect software.

basta

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I rebooted testing all the ports with 2 cables, nada. The Intel RAID bios shows nothing unusual and I ran the chipset drivers before posting here. The PSU is a new Coolermaster 550W and the tray works ok.

Out of curiosity, I plugged in my old unit--doesn't get detected now, either. On the last port I got a moment of noise from it during POST and detection hung for about 5 seconds but after that, nothing.

If the SATA ports are working, then it leaves the 'DVD' or 'DVD Driver'. I have seen in this forum plenty of older SATA DVD's fail. The oddity is BIOS sees the DVD, followed by a warning upon boot prior to Windows.

If there's a DVD listed in the Device Manager, delete it and restart. You might want to try F8 repair using your Windows 7 DVD.

There are several versions of Samsung SH-S223 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&s=Samsung%20SH-S223&type=Hardware&page=1 all are listed as compatible - however I didn't see SH-S223_ all had B~Q suffix.

I've researched the Samsung SH-S223 and have seen similar reports with no solutions...

I'd RMA/Exchange/Replace the Samsung SH-S223 and look at the ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

basta

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks very much for checking out the Samsung and pointing me to the Asus, but the fact that the original DVD isn't recognized now either--though it was the one that I used to install the OS just 2 months ago--makes me think that the sata ports are toast. I know that one works because I just dug my Frankenstein's leftovers system out of the closet and checked it.

The mobo has the initial series 6 Intel chipset that is being recalled late next month due to problems with exactly these sata ports. Intel said only about 10-15% of boards should be affected and that performance may degrade slowly over time but I suspect they were not telling the whole truth and it could be these ports will just fail from one day to the next.

I don't much like the idea of going at least a month without the drive and exchanging the board when they get the recall going, but I'm afraid that looks pretty likely right now. Do you think this may be what's really going on?

I have been assuming you had a B3 revision MOBO. Yeah, they want you to believe it's 10~15%, but the 'Urgency' seemed to imply a higher number.

I don't know where you purchased, but IF the Supplier where you purchased the MOBO allows for it, they may send a replacement MOBO, and then send the old one back where your downtime is minimal. Otherwise, you can contact them - buy a replacement - get a full refund for the old MOBO; verify.

Gigabyte's policy -> http://event.gigabyte.com/intel-6-series-swap-request/

The alternative is to purchase a SATA Card.

basta

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, the joys of being an early adopter--a week later and it's "recall!" Quite a shame, really; I've never been happier with a system--until this began.

That's a very good idea, to buy a replacement, then get the refund with the recall; it's a small dealer so I'll see if they'll go for it.

I hear you, I'm waiting for the LGA 2011 SB the X58 replacements, and there's no damn way I'm buying the first 30 days. ;)

BTW - I've seen a couple B3 rev with the same 'old' problem -- imagine if it's not fixed! I am hoping it's isolated or user error or bad HDD/SSD/ODD.

Good Luck!

basta

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yikes! I hope they've fixed them for real and don't just rush off to the next iteration and leave it to tech support to sort out or run people around in circles.

Which reminds me, it looks like Gigabyte has shut down its internet tech support--you can't register at their UK forum (never get a confirmation email, I tried with 4 accounts) and the tech support e-ticket form has a glitch in it so that you can't enter the model name and so can't send it in. Somehow I doubt a tech company is so net-illiterate...

That chip promises to be a monster--in performance and price. Anyway I find it fascinating that after all these years Intel has switched tack and begin to offer unlocked chips--finally realizing that it's a strong niche market and it's not like the average Joe is suddenly going to become and OCer and undermine their high-end offerings.

ASUS had a similar issue last week, but in their case it was from earthquakes disrupting regional access to their servers.

Both forums the http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/ and http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/ are running at least in the USA. Those are run on completely different servers. I'm not sure if Gigabyte 'owns' either site. Simple Machines LLC & Tweak Town Pty Ltd.

The architecture of the P55 & P67 are very similar with no dramatic change or benefits, and the same goes for the X58 & X68/LGA 2011. The big differences are the Sandy Bridge CPUs. I had hoped that the X68 would be PCIe 3.0, but nope it's PCIe 2.x. Also, found out this morning that they're adding a 4-core/4-thread CPU, before it was exclusive to 6/6 and 8/8.