Sign in with
Your question

XFX 790i Ultra Help & Info

Last response: in Motherboards
March 25, 2011 8:26:02 PM

Hello everyone, pleasure to be on the forums seeking advice. I'm currently running:

Tower: Thermaltake Armor+ Full
Power: Corsair HX1000W
Mainboard: XFX 790i Ultra
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR-1333 4gb (2 x 2gb) Model #: TW3X4G1333C9
GPU: SLI EVGA GeForce 9800GT 1GB
HD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB (non-raid)

Right now my system is overclocked to 3.6GHz and is rock solid stable.

Backstory: This system has been a plague since day one. After a year of RMAing the RAM and Mainboard, I had discovered my power supply was the culprit of my RAM going bad. After I RMAed the power supply (very good service from Corsair I might add), my system is now stable and no problems since.

However, I am now starting to push the limits of my current system. I need to upgrade to 8gb of RAM due to my new business and my GPUs are becoming obsolete. I already plan to buy the EVGA GTX 590 card as a replacement of my SLI 9800s so no problems there. My problem is with RAM. As I said earlier, I'm currently running these Corsair sticks but I am now starting to need the additional 4gb. I have tried ordering the same sticks from Newegg, but they were different versions from my RMA sticks from Corsair (Newegg v8.1 while Corsair RMA v9.1). No matter what I did I could not get my system stable with these two versions.

So then I found this 8gb set for a good price. They were delivered yesterday and when I installed them, problems right off the bat. Eventually after some voltage tweaking and mostly default bios settings, I was able to get my system to start up. I ran MemTest for 10 hours, and, of course, 1 error for each test was discovered. Then I ran Prime95 overnight, discovering my system was shut down when I woke up. Tried to boot, kept restarting itself at the Windows start-up. Finally, I removed each stick, tested to see if it would boot (to which all four of them did) and placed the full set in my system again. My system started up and again I ran MemTest. Within 2% it found errors. So I have RMAed the set for a replacement. I'm hoping I received a bad set, but I can't help notice a trend here.

When I placed back my original sticks, no problems whatsoever.

So, am I better off sticking with 4gb of RAM, or am I selecting the wrong RAM, or is it my bios settings? I wish to maintain my 3.6 overclock if at all possible. Thanks for the help!

More about : xfx 790i ultra info

a c 156 V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 3:49:52 PM

You can try running the RAM at 2.2 volts and relaxing the timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5's-15. Otherwise, it looks like you will need to decide which is more important - the extra RAM of your present CPU speed.
m
l
!