Sign in with
Your question

WLAN net acess, no lan acess

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 6, 2010 8:40:12 AM

hey guys, i have brought a laptop runnging w7 starter, all was good (could access my desktop running xp pro(with wireless usb adaptor) with remote desktop and through local network ect) untill recently. i can access internet on both computers but cannot access each other, if i wire them up with lan cable directly to the router they can see each other, just through wireless they cant,i even restored w7 on laptop back to system defaults. im stumped..

any help guys???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2010 8:55:51 AM

Have you tired turning off the firewalls (in each computer) temporarily ?
m
l
June 6, 2010 9:43:53 AM

both have windows fire wall disabled and no other firewall. and they both work when hard wired. so im assuning wireless has the problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2010 10:11:24 AM

cam_03 said:
both have windows fire wall disabled and no other firewall. and they both work when hard wired. so im assuning wireless has the problem?

For some reason, Windows 7 needs a little longer to adapt to changes so if you're expecting instant response to networking alterations, you might think the changes haven't been accepted and go on to make other. Leave it twenty minutes or so for the Computer Browser Service to do its rounds and see what's happened since last it did so.

Also, W7 is a but more fussy about passwords than it needs to be and might expect XP to have a password protected User Account. That shouldn't be any different on wireless than wired but it is a thought on which another poster might expand.

m
l
June 6, 2010 10:30:58 AM

cheers, givin it heaps of time.
its weird, same settings wired and wireless and no prob at all connecting to each other comp using wired, but as soon as i go wireless it goes dead, but can still use net. cant even ping each other.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2010 5:25:20 PM

cam_03 said:
cheers, givin it heaps of time.
its weird, same settings wired and wireless and no prob at all connecting to each other comp using wired, but as soon as i go wireless it goes dead, but can still use net. cant even ping each other.

Does "same settings" include NAT and firewall settings in the router itself, along with MAC filtering?

m
l
June 6, 2010 11:14:06 PM

not really looked at that, but havnt changed any settings on the router, and the wireless lan used to work,
m
l
June 7, 2010 3:48:14 AM

have reinstalled windos on both comp's and have put it down to my desktops wireless adaptor. its a linksys wusb100, my old dse budget wireless adaptor worked fine but not this twice the price piece of ....., now my mw2 dont work... yay for me
m
l
!