Sign in with
Your question

Can someone answer this simple question for me please

Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2010 5:34:33 AM

I know I sound like a complete idiot, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

My question is: Why is a core 2 duo E6300 @ 1.8 ghz better than a Pentium D 9xx @ 3.0 ghz?

They are both dual core. Everyone says the core 2 duo is better for performance. Maybe I'm missing something, or don't fully understand something.

*I don't know if one's better for overclocking or what, but I do not overclock so that's not an issue.

More about : answer simple question

a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 5:47:11 AM

there are instructions and alot of other things that make the c2d stand out. if you have both of the series at same speeds, c2d will pawn ahead easily. tdp, die size this and that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 6:31:51 AM

Because clock speed isn't everything. Would a chip with 2MBs of L2 cache be better then a chip with only one? You cant' just look at ONE thing of a CPU and know if its faster then something else.
Related resources
August 25, 2010 6:58:15 AM

its better because the cache memory is higher by the way not only the speed is matter for example the C2Q 2.0 is better than 2 extreme dual core 3.6
Quad core
2.0 + 2.0 + 2.0 + 2.0 = 8 GHZ
dual core
3.6 + 3.6 = 7,2 haha thats really powerful yeah but eventually the high speed dual core cpu like the one i've one i mentioned above is better in some cases if the proggrames use 2 cores only like crysis
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 7:25:50 AM

You can't add things like that together johnny. The entire architecture of the chip needs to be considered. You can't just look at one thing.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 8:00:50 AM

johnnyq8 said:
its better because the cache memory is higher by the way not only the speed is matter for example the C2Q 2.0 is better than 2 extreme dual core 3.6
Quad core
2.0 + 2.0 + 2.0 + 2.0 = 8 GHZ
dual core
3.6 + 3.6 = 7,2 haha thats really powerful yeah but eventually the high speed dual core cpu like the one i've one i mentioned above is better in some cases if the proggrames use 2 cores only like crysis

Please don't confuse people by adding GHz together like that, it doesn't work that way.

The simplest answer (without having to go into an insane amount of detail) is that the Core 2 architecture is a superior design to the Pentium, thus it can do more work even at lower clock speeds.
August 25, 2010 12:22:47 PM

It wasn't supposed to be 2 threads sorry. One was asking for a somewhat detailed explanation of why some slower speed dual core/quad cores are better than faster speed ones. The other thread was finding out which route I should go and compatibilty issues with my mobo. And if its worth buying used processor and if I can use the same heatsink.

I do understand that a 2.0ghz quad is not 8.0 ghz. But it can do more work, just at a little bit of a slower speed. I didn't fully understand it, but I think I do now.

@Daship - my mobo does support the 6300
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 2:07:39 PM

Work used to mean faster speed. The faster your CPU was clocked, the more work it could do. Intel went down this path with a vengeance. They did everything they could to make a faster clocked CPU. What they did in the process was reduce the amount of work that actually happened with each clock tick. Who cares if you have a 10GHz clocked chip if a 3GHz clocked chip can do the same work faster?

There are many things that affect a CPUs ability to do work. Interconnect to motherboard, size and number of caches, clock speed, number of cores, supported instruction sets, ability of the prefetchers to branch predict correctly, and a host of other architectural differences. Just as you wouldn't look at only the size of the L2 cache you shouldn't look at the clock speed alone.

What goes on in a CPU is really a cool thing. I suggest reading the articles about the K10 Arch, C2D, i series, and even the new Bulldozer CPUs that are coming. Look up any term you don't understand. With this education you'll feel a lot better about picking a CPU.
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2010 2:38:08 PM

Aoebil said:
I know I sound like a complete idiot, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

My question is: Why is a core 2 duo E6300 @ 1.8 ghz better than a Pentium D 9xx @ 3.0 ghz?

They are both dual core. Everyone says the core 2 duo is better for performance. Maybe I'm missing something, or don't fully understand something.

*I don't know if one's better for overclocking or what, but I do not overclock so that's not an issue.

Why is a 2010 Porsche 911 GT2 RS with a six-cylinder engine achieve 620hp and reaches 60mph in 3.4 seconds while a 2007 BMW M5 with a ten-cylinder engine achieve 500hp and reaches 60mph in 3.9(I think) seconds?
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 2:44:52 PM

We are talking about processors...
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2010 2:46:51 PM

^Its the same idea...

As time goes by...technology changes and advances.

My point is that clock speed isn't everything. As seen with the cars...the car with less cylinders was able to get much higher horsepower showing that cylinders aren't everything...which I am using to represent clocks...therefore, the core 2 dou is more powerful because of other factors that makes up for the lower clock.
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 3:08:03 PM

lol as i am die hard Porsche fan let me correct you, as you brought this topic up.

Its GT2 RS, not GT2. hell of a difference.

BMW being old and all has one more disadvantage, its nearly 450KG heavier.
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2010 3:19:36 PM

My Bad, it is a RS, I forgot to mention that. My apologies. I love both Porsche and BMW. The 450KG heavier M5 is because its a sedan. However, do you understand my main point though...about the processors?

Oh and wait, until BMW updates its M-series inventory within the next couple of years :) .
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 3:23:25 PM

I do not need to understand when i know what you are saying. but The examples are not worthy.

Yeah do wait.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2010 4:22:02 PM

Did you mean note worthy? It is a good example. Less cylinders (clock speed) doing more work. (horsepower) The only problem with the example is if you don't know cars, then its still as obscure as the CPUs. It does show there is more to cars then just number of cylinders or HP (weight) just as there is more to CPUs then cores or frequency (IPC).
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2010 4:25:13 PM

^Thank you :) 
!