Sabertooth X58 RAID10

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Sabertooth
  • Western Digital
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 25, 2011 10:22:01 PM

I have been trying for several months to get a reliable RAID10 array configured on Intel 3gb/s sata ports. ASUS says NTF, no trouble found, yet every raid10 install suffers from drives being flagged as dropped from the array even with 3 sets of 4 RE drives from WD! 3 new Sabertooth X58 motherboards all exhibit same results, array fails (usually port 1 and/or 2) within a day or two. Replaced everything twice, built 2 rigs, both have identical problems. Raid10 performs as expected up until drives dropped from array, requiring long rebuild process. Asus and WD point fingers at each other...frustrating!

More about : sabertooth x58 raid10

a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2011 10:32:03 PM

I've heard plenty of stories of WD drives being dropped from RAID arrays in the past, however, what's strange is that it is usually Caviar Black drives that get dropped from the array and RE4 drives have always been touted as better for RAID arrays than the Caviar Blacks. IIRC, the root issue with the WD drives dropping out the the array is that the drives were taking too long to respond because of error correction and so they were being dropped by the controller in response. The RE4 drives weren't supposed to suffer from that same issue.
m
l
March 25, 2011 10:35:15 PM

Muzzle_Flash said:
I have been trying for several months to get a reliable RAID10 array configured on Intel 3gb/s sata ports. ASUS says NTF, no trouble found, yet every raid10 install suffers from drives being flagged as dropped from the array even with 3 sets of 4 RE drives from WD! 3 new Sabertooth X58 motherboards all exhibit same results, array fails (usually port 1 and/or 2) within a day or two. Replaced everything twice, built 2 rigs, both have identical problems. Raid10 performs as expected up until drives dropped from array, requiring long rebuild process. Asus and WD point fingers at each other...frustrating!

Power Supply : Corsair TX750 W both rigs. All voltages stable and to spec.

New SATA cables, ASUS black with retention clips or standard red sata cables, same results.

Single video card, I7 950 proc, 12 gb ram

NO overclocking.

Windows 7 64 bit

All bios, chipset drivers latest versions

RAID 1 or RAID 0 no failures yet on 3 g/s intel sata ports.

RAID 5 same failure rate as RAID 10

ALL drives pass WD diagnostics test. Drives erased with utility prior to RAID array config.

Purchased Sabertooth X58 for RAID 10 use only.......work perfectly in all modes except RAID 5/10!

m
l
March 25, 2011 11:26:19 PM

jprahman said:
I've heard plenty of stories of WD drives being dropped from RAID arrays in the past, however, what's strange is that it is usually Caviar Black drives that get dropped from the array and RE4 drives have always been touted as better for RAID arrays than the Caviar Blacks. IIRC, the root issue with the WD drives dropping out the the array is that the drives were taking too long to respond because of error correction and so they were being dropped by the controller in response. The RE4 drives weren't supposed to suffer from that same issue.

I built up my first Sabertooth X58 pc and used 4 wd Cavair Black 750 gb drives. I was not aware of any RE3 or RE4 drives or why they made them. Now I have 5 nice 750 drives for whatever, just not RAID10. WD advised I use RE drives so I purchased 4 750 RE3 drives and it made no difference, same failures, same rate. Now I have an additional 4 750 drives for whatever, just not RAID10. Being very persistent, I purchased an additional 4 1tb RE4 drives. SAME PROBLEM! Same problem on three Sabertooth X58 motherboards! Now I have two rigs with a massive amount of storage, just no RAID10.

I used RAID10 on my Asus Maximus Formula board for years with no problems. Fast and redundant and they were not special RAID Enhanced drives either. I had the Win7 64 bit OS installed on the RAID10 array on that board too, just as with the Sabertooth X58 boards.

Thanks for your advice.

m
l
!