Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Antec EA 500 support a Palit GTX 460 Sonic?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 25, 2010 8:33:39 AM

Hello Guys,

I know for sure that an Antec Eathwatts 500 will support a generic GTX 460 but the question is whether it will support a Palit GTX 460 Sonic edition (which is obviously an overclocked edition)?

rest of the system :

Intel E8400
Gigabyte EP45C DS3R
4GB DDR2 Ram
80GB HDD + 250GB HDD
Antec Earthwatts 500W
August 25, 2010 8:37:04 AM

Guys i mean the Palit GTX 460 Sonic edition and not the Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum edition.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2010 10:41:08 AM

It will pull 225W (at maximum) from your PSU, so it would be enough, however, in my opinion, the EarthWatts 500W is not the proper unit to power the GTX460 OC. I would be more confortable with a quality 550W PSU. Anyway, It will work.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 25, 2010 10:57:49 AM

Henry,
Thanks for the reply.

So What do u suggest I do?I cant change my PSU anyway.
Shall i go for the Palit Sonic GTX 460?
It is just mildly overclocked.

I want the GTX 460 as I wont be upgrading in the next three years.
Will I have any issues?
m
0
l
August 25, 2010 11:18:28 AM

Or else I will have to go for a MSI 5770 hawk but i could afford a GTX 460 now.
m
0
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
August 25, 2010 11:29:35 AM

Antec is a quality, reliable and trustworthy brand when it comes to PSU's and PC cases.. The Antec EA500 will adequately power up a GTX 460 768MB/1GB.. However, i'd recommend going a step further and opt from the Antec True Power line up.. The Antec True Power 550W will be a good buy..
m
0
l
August 25, 2010 12:07:13 PM

Emperus,

Thanks for the reply.However changing the PSU is out of the question as I have a tight budget and cannot accomodate a new PSU in that.
So shall i go for the Sonic without changing the PSU?what do u say?
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 25, 2010 12:13:42 PM

blade47 said:
Hello Guys,

I know for sure that an Antec Eathwatts 500 will support a generic GTX 460 but the question is whether it will support a Palit GTX 460 Sonic edition (which is obviously an overclocked edition)?

rest of the system :

Intel E8400
Gigabyte EP45C DS3R
4GB DDR2 Ram
80GB HDD + 250GB HDD
Antec Earthwatts 500W


Nvidia reccomends a 450 watt psu for a "generic" GTX460, Palit reccomends the same for thiers, even the Platinum Edition, and goes on to reccomend 24 amps of 12v power.
The EA500 ( 34 to 37 amps @ 12v , depending on which version ) would have no problem running your system
m
0
l
August 25, 2010 12:17:47 PM

Mine is the 34 A version.So the Sonic it is then.
m
0
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
August 25, 2010 12:35:22 PM

blade47 said:
Emperus,

Thanks for the reply.However changing the PSU is out of the question as I have a tight budget and cannot accomodate a new PSU in that.
So shall i go for the Sonic without changing the PSU?what do u say?


Oh well.! You already have the PSU.. I misunderstood that part of the query i guess.. But like i said before, the EA500 surely has enough grunt to handle a single GTX460 768MB/1GB, stock and/or overclocked..
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2010 2:12:02 PM

blade47 said:
Henry,
Thanks for the reply.

So What do u suggest I do?I cant change my PSU anyway.
Shall i go for the Palit Sonic GTX 460?
It is just mildly overclocked.

I want the GTX 460 as I wont be upgrading in the next three years.
Will I have any issues?


I would go for the GTX460 (no OC) from Sapphire or His and then try to OC by myself if needed. Anyway, It performs very well so I think it won't be necessary.
m
0
l
!