Help me pick an AMD motherboard

RogueHermit

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi all,

I'm new here, since I am in desperate need of help finding a motherboard for a gaming machine.

Now for the details and stuff I want in a board:
AMD Phenom II x6 1090t
8gb 1600 DDR3 RAM (non OC support)
SATA 6.0 GB/s
USB 3.0 support
ATI Radeon 6950

I'd like a board that has most of these features that is still under $150 USD (approx). I may do some moderate overclocking somewhere down the road, so that's something to keep in mind.

Let me know if there's any details I missed.

Thanks!

Solution
The 870 I posted will work with 1600 RAM, you'll just have to set timings and voltage (depending on what DDR3 RAM you get) in it's BIOS. It's a budget motherboard compared to a 890FX without 16x/16x or even 8x/8x gaming capabilities. It's 16x/4x, but since it uses the new AM3+ socket it can be used with the upcoming Bulldozer CPUs from AMD. The new AM3+ sockets will work with all AM3 CPUs and will be compatible with the next generation of AMD CPUs.

Here's a roundup review of the 870 motherboards, it's a bit dated, but should give you a good idea about capabilities of the platform.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/amd-870-roundup.html

RogueHermit

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Doesn't the 890 only support 1600 when it's overclocked? I don't really understand how all that stuff works though. But I have Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600 memory standard picked out. Would that work perfectly at 1600 speeds on first bootup?

RogueHermit

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Alright, well I think I have my mind made up and I'm going to be saving a whole lot of money. Thanks for your help! Now I just need to order the ASRock eventually...

One last question, does it support the turbo ability of the Phenom II?

The 870 I posted will work with 1600 RAM, you'll just have to set timings and voltage (depending on what DDR3 RAM you get) in it's BIOS. It's a budget motherboard compared to a 890FX without 16x/16x or even 8x/8x gaming capabilities. It's 16x/4x, but since it uses the new AM3+ socket it can be used with the upcoming Bulldozer CPUs from AMD. The new AM3+ sockets will work with all AM3 CPUs and will be compatible with the next generation of AMD CPUs.

Here's a roundup review of the 870 motherboards, it's a bit dated, but should give you a good idea about capabilities of the platform.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/amd-870-roundup.html

Solution