bwbstr435

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hi, I am looking for some discussion on putting more dimm sockets in the vacant space of Acer Aspire M1202. Now I don't know how to so I am looking for discussion on the subject of what kind of sockets to use and how to install them. First, in my journey of looking at sockets I discovered that there was a couple of different kinds that have numbers like 15 and 30 connectors; and I don't know which one mine takes. Also there are things that I found out like; that the connectors at the bottom of the socket have to go to something right? And all I found on the motherboard when I was looking; was little solder dots or holes. What am I supposed to do? Melt them? Just to open this discussion up a little bit further; This same question probably comes up a lot with this make and model of machine(Acer Aspire M1202) and I am hoping for a definitive positive response. So, first we have the sockets (which to use I have no idea). And then, on the other hand we have the motherboard; with its little solder dots (that I can't figure out if they are the connectors or if you are supposed to sink the socket connectors into the motherboard.... Oh yeah, the motherboard has two holes per socket(one at each end). So...where to get the sockets and how to install them is the topic for discussion.

Your motherboard has two dimm (ram) slots and supports up to 2 x 2GB of ram. If you are talking about adding additional ram slots you would be better of getting a new motherboard than going through all that trouble. (You probably can buy the sockets in lots of 1000.)

Mainboards are multi-layer circuit boards that use very fine traces to connect everything together. They are very complex and are assembled by robots. It's only with some of the surface connections that humans get involved in the production at all. You cannot add extra stuff to them without a proper understanding of the engineering behind the boards themselves.

As to soldering stuff on: If you don't know exactly which traces perform what function and how they interact not only on the surface but also within the layers of the board, you will kill the mainboard dead. Also, the traces are engineered to handle a certain amount of current over the lifetime of the board, and even if you were successful in soldering on extra connections the board's life would be drastically reduced.

You really are better off getting a new board. The time and effort involved wouldn't be worth it, especially since the likelihood of success is in the low single-digit percentages.

bwbstr435

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Does any body know the proper procedure to installing a board? Because I have already tried three different boards with this machine and they always come back out because I don't know what to do when the CPU fan goes at full blast after the initial install. What is all that noise? I just want to put a new board in.