Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rip Blu Ray movie to DVD - just as good?

Last response: in Storage
August 22, 2012 9:23:55 AM

So, I am going to buy a Blu Ray burner (finally decided on Pioneer BDR-2207; if anyone knows a reason I shouldn't get this one, please speak up!) and I plan to backup my Blu Ray movies. If it's possible to rip to hdd then burn to dvd, will the resulting movie look about the same when viewing? [blu ray media is so expensive, I thot maybe this is worth a try? at least until prices come down].

{If I own Star Wars on BD but don't want it to get ruined when I loan it to Dad, will he really notice a difference in plaback?}

Thanks!
a c 181 G Storage
August 25, 2012 2:12:16 PM

will the resulting movie look about the same when viewing? Not even close.
Score

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
August 25, 2012 2:41:43 PM

All depends on:
Screen size, resolution and if 1080 does playback devise upscale (Upscal still not as good as 1080)
But For Dad, it may be more about eyesight. same as some one with class B hearing going out and Buying the BEST sound system - He will never tell the diff between it an a cheap sound system.

If you want true fidelity, retain the full size and store on a External HDD. Use computer for Playback. 1 TB drive = about 30->35 Blu-rays - Still expensive as that is about $3 per movie compared to about a Buck for a BD-R and 30 cents for a DVD±R

Face it if you want to play that blu-ray on a ipadI or II you will have to take that 13-35 gig Blu-ray file all the way 2.2 gigs.

I do this often for storing on a thumb drive for playback outside the home. Stuck a combo of 25 DVD/Blue-ray on to a 64 Gig thumdrive for play back on a laptop.
Yes There is a diff, but they were totaly watchable.
Related resources
August 29, 2012 7:59:50 AM

Best answer selected by bl00.
Score
August 29, 2012 8:02:00 AM

RetiredChief said:
All depends on:
Screen size, resolution and if 1080 does playback devise upscale (Upscal still not as good as 1080)
But For Dad, it may be more about eyesight. same as some one with class B hearing going out and Buying the BEST sound system - He will never tell the diff between it an a cheap sound system.

If you want true fidelity, retain the full size and store on a External HDD. Use computer for Playback. 1 TB drive = about 30->35 Blu-rays - Still expensive as that is about $3 per movie compared to about a Buck for a BD-R and 30 cents for a DVD±R

Face it if you want to play that blu-ray on a ipadI or II you will have to take that 13-35 gig Blu-ray file all the way 2.2 gigs.

I do this often for storing on a thumb drive for playback outside the home. Stuck a combo of 25 DVD/Blue-ray on to a 64 Gig thumdrive for play back on a laptop.
Yes There is a diff, but they were totaly watchable.

Awesome answer - detailed, informative and concise!
It is so nice to be listened to, taken seriously and answered. I really appreciate it! Thank you!
Score
a c 353 G Storage
August 29, 2012 11:59:47 AM

Your Welcome, Enjoy
Score
a c 181 G Storage
August 29, 2012 12:02:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!