Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My First Build

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2010 8:31:40 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Week BUDGET RANGE: (500-1,000) Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: General Use, Mid-Range Gaming, etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I need basically everything. I’ve survived on laptops for the past few years. I’m not including peripherals stuff in this build. But there will be a USB keyboard and mouse.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer a smaller tower. Something close in size to the case I have listed.

OVERCLOCKING: No (Maybe later). SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I’m not trying to make something that will play the best, most taxing games or anything. I want something that will last and potentially be upgradeable over the next few years. I’m planning on using a dual-boot with Windows 7 Home 64-bit and probably Unbuntu. I tried to pay attention to compatibility issues, but since it’s my first build, I’m only aware of so much. I attempted to skimp a bit where I could, so the video card isn’t as good as it could be. I wanted to keep the cost under control.

I also don’t know if I need another cooler of some kind. I’ll listen to any advice anyone is willing to offer. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parts:
Mini-Tower
Biostar Motherboard
AM3 CPU
Video Card
320GB HDD
2GB DDR3 RAM
550W Power Supply
Optical Drive
Monitor

More about : build

Best solution

June 27, 2010 7:49:48 AM

poohead said:

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: General Use, Mid-Range Gaming, etc.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

A HD 4650 gaming on a Full HD display is a no go!

$628AR tower

CM 341 one of my fav mATX gaming towers due to
a. HDD cage not getting in the way of long powerful GPUs
b. 2 x 120mm capable and 2 more if u get the non side window version hehe

SAMSUNG P2350-1 Rose Black 23" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor $190 free ship
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 27, 2010 8:18:53 AM

+1 to batuchka's build
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2010 4:21:33 PM

So is my Video Card the only problem? I was trying to save money where I could, and I figured that the Video Card would be upgradeable later. Is there a minimum series of cards I should be shooting for?
m
l
June 28, 2010 1:56:41 PM

A 4650 at 1200 will be like trying to make a horse tow the Empire State Building. If you're wanting a decent entry point into gaming capability then the 5770 is the card to look at but even then it will struggle at 1200 unless you really turn the settings down.

You could also do with 4GB of RAM and not 2GB since Windows will take up 1.3-5 of that just being turned on...
m
l
June 28, 2010 5:57:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. This has got me rethinking my build a lot. I guess I was just trying to cut corners before, because I had it in my head to stay at a certain budget. This caused me to ignore the value I'd be getting for certain upgrades. I've revised my build to the following:

I'm still planning on the first monitor that I linked. I'm not sure about the resolution anymore.

m
l
June 29, 2010 3:21:12 AM

You might be able to save a bit by getting a mobo+cpu combo that uses the Athlon 445/440/435 instead of the 635. If you save some there, then you can afford a 5850 for your graphics.
m
l
July 2, 2010 12:31:16 PM

I ended up with pretty much the second build I listed above, but with this Video Card instead. And this deal was a welcome surprise right before I went to order.

Should be getting everything by Tuesday. I'm pretty excited to give this a go. Thanks for your help.
m
l
July 2, 2010 4:33:30 PM

Well if you've decided on those and don't want to change anything, then it looks pretty good to me.
m
l
July 2, 2010 6:17:26 PM

Yer poohead build looks good, and certainly upgradable for the future.
m
l
July 12, 2010 12:01:48 PM

Best answer selected by poohead.
m
l
!