Installing xp with Win 7

sosavidge

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
K I have a new computer that came equiped with Win 7. My Chief Arcitect program wont run on 7 will only run in XP. I partitioned my hard drive and every time I insert my XP installation disk the istall option is not available. Any suggestions would be helpful.

You can't install Windows XP after Windows 7 has been installed and expect to be able to dual boot. You must always install the older operating system first. Although there are ways around this problem it is complicated and not recommended. The reason that you could not boot from the XP disk is probably the "boot from CD" option is not the first option in the boot order in the BIOS. If you have the Ultimate or Premium version of Windows 7 then the Microsoft virtual XP mode is very good and maybe your best option if you are unable to get your program running under Windows 7.

sosavidge

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

The version of Architect that I have is 1 and the upgrade will cost me $800. Which I might have to end up doing. Thank you.

I changed my boot order in bios to boiot from cd. It went through the hole process and at the end I got a fatal error screen. My Architect program will not run in virtual xp mode. I might just have to end up going for the upgrade with m y program.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi Sosavidge,

Did the software manufacturer of the version of Architect that you have specifically state that it is incompatible in a virtual instance of XP? XP mode was designed to assist small and medium size businesses with compatibility issues with Windows 7. It never hurts to setup an XP Mode / Virtual PC install and try to run the application. To assist you with this process, please utilize the following resource:

Your other option, assuming XP Mode will not be sufficient, is to proceed with your initial dual boot intention. It’s great that you altered your boot order to include your CD / DVD drive as your primary boot device however, even if you were to proceed with a Windows XP installation on the necessary partition you created you would encounter issues booting into Windows 7. The only successful way recommended by Microsoft when configuring a dual boot environment is to have XP as the initial operating system and then install Windows 7 after.

Should you wish to proceed with this method you would first want to back up any and all data on Windows 7, format your hard drive and create two new partitions.

From there you would boot with the Windows XP cd and install it on the first partition available.

After the XP installation, it is likely you will need to also install the necessary drivers for your hardware.

At that point you could set your Windows XP “project” aside and boot from your Windows 7 DVD and proceed with an install to the second partition you created.

Similar to when you installed XP, you will want to ensure all drivers are properly installed and configured for your hardware.

By the end of this scenario you would, presumably so, have two operating systems running side by side – Windows XP and Windows 7.

There is a great video resource on Microsoft’s TechNet website that can help walk you through setting up a dual boot setup between Windows XP and Windows 7 available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710733

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro