Sign in with
Your question

Problem with 6 Month PC I built for a friend

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2010 11:04:34 PM

I recently built a few of PCs for friends of mine.

All of them work fine except one.

My friend says it automatically reboots from time to time from the operating system (like once a week). There is no blue screen prior, and no Windows recovered from a system error message after reboot. So I told him to go to disable autoreboot in control panel-system-advanced after an error. Nothing happens for a couple of weeks. So I decide it must be a software problem, or a virus or something interesting. So I did a complete format, and reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit on his PC.

Now a couple days ago he told me that he was web browsing and watching something on Hulu.com, when suddenly the audio loops and the whole PC is frozen. I asked him whether there was power to his PC peripherals (keyboard, mouse) and he said the keyboard lights were on as well as the Laser on the mouse.

So I decided it can only be three things, Memory, Power Supply, or onboard sound on the Mobo.

This is an overclocked PC

Specs
Processor: Intel i7 920 Overclocked to 3.2Ghz
Motherboard: EVGA E758-TR X58 Motherboard
Memory: 6GB Corsair XMS3 (DDR3-1600) TR3X6G1600C9 Running at 1595Mhz
Graphic Card: BFGTech 260 GTX Maxcore
Power Supply: 700Watt OCZ SXS (It was cheap, and it does have electrical noise--Buzzing, but the voltage monitored is stable)
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V8
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD+/- Burner
Case: CoolerMaster 932 HAF
Add-ons: EVGA's EU30 (USB 3.0 Add-on Card)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

I recently ran Memtest 86+ Ver 4.10 for a whole day. The memory is underclocked and the latency is 11-11-11-24 which is higher, but 20 passes and no errors. So memory isn't the problem.

I did run Prime 95 Stress Tests and RealTemp when I overclocked the Computer 6 months ago, and there was no problems with Prime 95 and the temperatures were fine, 60 degrees on Average. Lowest Temp was 33, highest was 68. (in Celsius).

So I don't really know what the problem could be. I will tell him to replace to Power Supply, since the power supply is garbage (it can catch fire and explode). But the voltages do seem normal.

Note I did install Windows 7 Updates and all his drivers are up to date.

Please provide your input and help me find the problem.
a c 104 B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2010 1:42:56 PM

Reduce the overclock and see if that solves the problem. 68°C is high for a CPU.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2010 4:10:57 PM

68 C under a Prime95 load is not bad.

But the first step should be removing the overclock.

How long did you run Prime95?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2010 5:32:52 PM

Am I crazy or does 11-11-11-24 with 1595 MHz memory look weird
m
l
June 28, 2010 8:03:53 AM

I tried to change the timings to 9-9-9-24, but the PC gets unstable. I can't get the setting exactly to 1600 MHZ for the memory and its really pissing me off.

After trying a few Overclocks, Clock Ratio at 20X, CPU Host Freq. at 166 Mhz, so its running at 3.4 Ghz, at 1604Mhz, with 9-9-9-24, HT off, 1.28V on CPU V Core, everything looked good and posted. Then I ran Prime 95, the Large-Place FFTs, Temps were on Average about 65 Degrees Celsius. Then at Test 5, around the middle, the PC just automatically restarted.

So my overclocking completely failed, and I tried to manipulate the numbers, increasing voltage on the Vcore, and decreasing to no avail.

So I loaded BIOS settings to Default and it works fine for now.

But this is really a buzz kill because I want to overclock this computer.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2010 8:14:01 AM

Reading this makes me appreciate the ease of unlocked Black Edition CPUs
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:06:58 AM

Well I OCed it using ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, on previous PCs it was a breeze...
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:00:48 AM

jsc said:
68 C under a Prime95 load is not bad.

But the first step should be removing the overclock.

How long did you run Prime95?

I ran Prime 95 blending before, just one set of 1024. When that set was finished, I just stopped all workers.
m
l
!