freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hello,
Installed a Kingston V200 128GB SSD on my machine to use as a primary device, with WDC 500GB HDD as a storage device. However, when I try to boot from the HDD, no matter what system always boots from SSD. I changed boot priority and it affected nothing. I tried forcing HDD by pressing F8 during boot, selected the HDD, but it still loads the SSD. The only way I can boot from HDD is to disconnect the SSD.

Does anyone know what could the problem be or had similar experience?

Motherboard:
Asus P8B75-M LE
BIOS Version: 0402 x64
ME Version: 8.0.2.1410

Thanks for the help.

Solution
If you installed the second instance of Win7 while the first instance's drive was connected to the system, only the first instance's drive is bootable.

Simplest fix: Download EasyBCD and edit the boot menu to boot either one. But your boot will always start from the same drive; just able to point it to the other instance of Windoze.

Neater fix: Attach only the drive that you can't boot from, remove the cables from the other. Boot to Win7 DVD and do a repair, which will build the disk bootable.

This is a guess - there are other ways you could get this behaviour.

rdc85

Honorable
Did u reinstall OS with only SSD connected?

Why did u need to reboot from HDD? are u going to use dual OS? what OS did u use?

If u not using dual OS than boot from SSD is good thing since there great benefit booting from SSD.

If you installed the second instance of Win7 while the first instance's drive was connected to the system, only the first instance's drive is bootable.

Simplest fix: Download EasyBCD and edit the boot menu to boot either one. But your boot will always start from the same drive; just able to point it to the other instance of Windoze.

Neater fix: Attach only the drive that you can't boot from, remove the cables from the other. Boot to Win7 DVD and do a repair, which will build the disk bootable.

This is a guess - there are other ways you could get this behaviour.

Solution

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
@WyomingKnott
[strike]The first instance of OS was the HDD, it was connected while SSD OS was installed (2nd instance). However the 2nd instance is the only bootable[/strike]
The HDD was disconnected when the SSD had Win7 installed
I'll try your suggestions

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Thank you for the BCD suggestion. Don't know how the software works, but all I had to do was to switch the default boot drive from ssd to hdd and it seemed to work. I guess that'll do the trick for now. Similarly I installed BCD on the hdd and did the same to boot from ssd.

rdc85

Honorable
Well, since to able dual boot the both Disk have to installed together so the system recognise there was an old OS when installation begin (it contrary when u want using one OS, the new OS installed with only one SSD atached)... :D

As Wyommknott said try using BCD.........

edit: just for info when installed with hdd and ssd both atached (to able dual boot or just lazy) the system files stored in the old drive (HDD) so when the HDD broke the both OS is broke, so when using one OS it recommended to install separately (with just one drive atached). :bounce: