How to Expand OS drive in Windows7

Using Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell Studio 1569, 4 GB Memory, 64 bit OS. Hard drive is partitioned OS (C) = 57 GB used/10MB free; D = 43.5 GB used/314 GB free (AFTER I used the Windows Disk Management tool to shrink D by 40 GB)

The same Windows Disk Management tool will NOT allow me to expand the OS(C) drive by the 40 GB I shrank drve D by.

HELP!!

Thanks for ANY help and assistance!

Gary
4 answers Last reply
More about expand drive windows7
  1. Download and install EASEUS Partition Master. That program will let you expand your C: drive. And its free.
  2. glminor said:
    Using Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell Studio 1569, 4 GB Memory, 64 bit OS. Hard drive is partitioned OS (C) = 57 GB used/10MB free; D = 43.5 GB used/314 GB free (AFTER I used the Windows Disk Management tool to shrink D by 40 GB)

The same Windows Disk Management tool will NOT allow me to expand the OS(C) drive by the 40 GB I shrank drve D by.

HELP!!

Thanks for ANY help and assistance!

Gary

I've heard horror stories about people expanding and shrinking drives that have operating systems installed on them. When you shrunk the D drive the spare space is usually removed from the end of the partition, which makes it difficult to allocate to the C drive which usually comes first. This can sometimes render the system partition unbootable and may require a reinstallation.

EaseUS is one of the better tools, but try it at your own risk
  3. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Action taken/issue resolved: Used EASYUS Partition Manager. Successfully "moved" D drive data and then re-partitioned (Expanded) C drive. OS is working GREAT -- now just have to un-install/re-install Office 365 and MS Lync --which started this whole issue!! Just my opinion and FYI -- I'm NOT impressed with Office 365 nor MS Lync!

Gary
  4. glminor said:
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Action taken/issue resolved: Used EASYUS Partition Manager. Successfully "moved" D drive data and then re-partitioned (Expanded) C drive. OS is working GREAT -- now just have to un-install/re-install Office 365 and MS Lync --which started this whole issue!! Just my opinion and FYI -- I'm NOT impressed with Office 365 nor MS Lync!

Gary

That's good to hear. I'm glad we didn't have to deal with another one of those "BOOTMGR IS MISSING HELP!" theads!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 Disk Management Storage