Suggestions for i7 930 system

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm getting an i7 930, and i need some help finding the mobo, ram, power supply, and fans. I was looking at the Asus P6X58-E or the Premium because I need the 6Gb/s SATA, and is there a big difference that would make the premium worth getting over the E? As far as Ram I just know I'd like 6-8GB of DDR3 1600, was looking at G Skill or Corsair, not any certain ones. Will be running 640, 750 gb, and 1 tb WD black HDDs, and 2 9800 GT's in SLI, with plans to get some better ATI cards in crossfire down the road. X-fi platinum sound card. Looking for what type of power supply would be approriate to runn all this stuff. And looking for fans, what would be the best/quietest fans to keep it cool? Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Asus P6X58-E:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

" "- Premium

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: $400-600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, sound card, video card, HDD

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, tiger direct, or any trustworthy site

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: i7 930, Asus P6X58-E, DDR3 1600 6-8GB

OVERCLOCKING: maybe, if yes, then slightly

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire down the road

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 24" Viewsonic 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: want a quiet PC, have a Mid tower Case

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Both mobos are great, the premium version probably landing you some better OC if you're interested in such things. The brands of RAM you mentioned are good, just go with which ever is on sale at the time of purchase.

I don't know if you'd even need a new PSU if you have something that can push 9800GT SLI. If it's a decent 600~700+ I wouldn't bother upgrading it unless it's old(4+ years) and you're worried about it blowing out and taking something with it.

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Would there be a big difference between the Corsair XMS3 vs the Dominator? or the G.Skill Ripjaws?

And whats a good 120mm fan? I dont think I'll need liquid cooling (correct me if I'm wrong) to run all that stuff without getting too hot, but if I did get it, would the Corsair H50 be a good deal or is there something that is better for the money? I'm not very informed about cooling but my case has 2 fan slots on the front and 1 on the back (its an old case). What RPM would be ideal? and should i get the 2 ball bearing or what? thanks

Chuckles_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
It seems like the only real difference between the Dominators and XMS3s is the heatsink. I've used XMS3s, G.Skills (non Ripjaws), and the A-Data gaming series, and would reccomend any of them. There's no major difference between any of them in my experience. I would go with whatever is cheapest. That will usually be the G.Skills, but Newegg has been offering some nice combos with the XMS3s.

Chuckles_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Well, I like Corsair. They are a great combination of performance, reliability, and value. If you want a little more choice than that, check out the PSU list they maintain over at Overclockersclub.com.

As for the HSF, the H50 is a good one, but it's not the best value, and it's not the best option for cases with limited airflow. For an alternative, check out the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B for $35ish. For the case fans, get the fastest you can stand noise-wise. Most good 120mm fans are around 1000 RPM, but Scythe has faster ones that are pretty quiet.