Your question

Building First Computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2010 3:10:50 AM

I was hoping to get advice on the build I need. I am looking to be able to play games such as Sims 3, Civilization IV, and Europa Universalis III at maximum quality very smoothly. I also hope to play the upcoming games Starcraft II and Civilization V smoothly as well. I have a 19" monitor.

I plan to buy from Newegg.com, so if you think there is a better place to buy any or all parts, please do tell.

The list I've compiled so far:

CPU/Processor - AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus
Motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 785G
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 Internal Hard Drive
Optical Drive - ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner
Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W
Case - Antec Three Hundred

Grand Total: $629.16 (I'd prefer if I could lower it with little to no loss in performance.)

Questions:
1. Are the part compatible?
2. To what extent of games will I be able to play with this build?

I need advice on how to improve this build for the better. Thanks for any help.

More about : building computer

June 27, 2010 3:18:11 AM

That looks to be a pretty good system. You should be able to play the aforementioned games with relative ease. I wouldn't really get anything of lower performance.
Related resources
June 27, 2010 3:19:58 AM

I'll assume your 19" monitor resolution is in the neighborhood ofr 1280x1024 in which case you'll do fine with the 5770/Athlon IIx4 combo.

As far as shaving off price? That will be a bit harder. All I can really recommend is check all items for combos.
June 27, 2010 3:24:19 AM

Very fast responses.

I made a mistake. I forgot the measurement of my screen, and it looked roughly 19"~20", so what I put was an estimate. However, I am pretty sure it is, or roughly, 20".

And I just remembered about screen resolution. My resolution is set to 1600 x 900.

I'll do more research concerning the CPU and any possible combinations.
June 27, 2010 3:30:56 AM

I've updated my list with the new CPU.

CPU/Processor - AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana
Motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 785G
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 Internal Hard Drive
Optical Drive - ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner
Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W
Case - Antec Three Hundred

Grand Total: $614.16 (Acceptable.)

I'm still a newbie to this kind of stuff, so can you fill me in on the differences between the Triple Core and the Quad Core?

There's one other thing I still need to know; are the parts compatible?
June 27, 2010 8:37:13 AM

I have been posting this a lot...

I regret ordering my AMD build the day before I recieved a private message back from a dual boot builder who told me I was gonna have a hard time getting OSX to install much less work properly with an AMD build, and that I should just give up.

I will not give up. When I get it built I will get it to dual boot.

If I don't, I guess I'll get new parts.
June 27, 2010 11:10:15 AM

batuchka said:
1. With the same architecture, the Rana 440/435 would be a far batter buy than that 445 @ current pricing

2. $99 for a 700 series 16/4 board is overpriced! Since u are going 400W anyway guess CF is out of the question so why not this 435 + 760G combo $89.99AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

3. Possible 500/80+ and SATA DVDRW combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

I appreciate the suggestions in cutting the price down, but how much loss in performance from the original build are we talking about?

And people seem to be ignoring my other questions.
June 27, 2010 11:30:33 AM

Most games run on 2 cores or less. A few new games like Left 4 Dead and some others (Idon't remember names), I think they can get a little-significant boost from 4 cores.

I think there is some kind of drawback to a triple core, but I I think its still one of the best bang for bucks at the moment. Some games benefit from a triple core I believe. It really depends on the game. I would think a triple core would be good for stuff like RTSs even if its new like SCII. I dunno, though, you should read the recommended specs on SCII. Maybe that'll give you an idea.

Do you ever plan to overclock or crossfire? If so, get a bigger PSU. Might want a little bit bigger one anyway.

Try using the PSU calculator, then add 30%.

June 27, 2010 11:37:42 AM

In most cases 2 cores can handle pretty much everything
June 27, 2010 12:30:09 PM

Wouldn't there be some kind of drawback from switching from the ASUS Motherboard to the ATX AMD Motherboard, from the X3 445 to the X3 435, and from the Corsair 400W to the ModXStream Pro 500W?
June 27, 2010 12:32:11 PM

And can someone tell me whether or not the part are compatible?

I don't plan to overclock.
!