• Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Antec
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 25, 2010 3:25:52 PM

Based on my earlier thread it seems like I may be better suited to replace my Antec 300 which has been a useful case. Given that I don't actively look/buy cases I'm not sure which cases I need to focus on.

Here's what I'm dealing with.
CPU core i7-930 with a soon to be Noctua NH-D14 6-Heatpipe CPU Heat Sink (height 160mm)
PSU Antec 650w
GPU EVGA nvidia gtx260 which seems to be on the large-ish side of graphic cards.
mobo asus p6t

I've been looking at various cases but to be honest, I'm a little lost. What's important to me are the following qualities in order of importance
cpu cut-out or a removable mobo pan
cabling
Clean looks, prefer black outside and if possible inside.
cooling
quiet running.

While quiet running is last on my list its not least. I'd want a case as quiet as the 300.

I've been looking at following manufacturers.
Antec
Cooler master
Thermaltake

I'm hoping to avoid a full tower if possible and budget isn't really a concern though I don't want to spend 200 on a case if I don't have too.

More about : case selection

a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
August 25, 2010 3:44:47 PM

What is a removable cpu pan? Did you mean a removable motherboard tray?
m
l

Best solution

August 25, 2010 3:56:22 PM

I have several builds with the Antec Nine Hundred Two for my clients. However, if I were to choose one case to cover all of those things (including the "removable cpu pan", i.e. reaching the part of the motherboard right under the CPU through the other side of the case if I get your drift), it would be Obsidian 800D. This is as perfect as expensive though, check it out at youtube.com, you'll find reviews and even a guy installing a whole computer in it, thus showing the brilliant design of it.

Best of luck!

Edit* keep in mind that the Corsair Obsidian is probably a lifetime investment, very easily upgraded and with the quality that can stand time's toll.
Related resources
August 25, 2010 5:02:16 PM

WR2 said:
What is a removable cpu pan? Did you mean a removable motherboard tray?

Yes and I'll fix my post. I have cpu on the brain it seems ;) 
m
l
August 25, 2010 5:17:52 PM

njure said:
it would be Obsidian 800D. This is as perfect as expensive though, check it out at youtube.com, you'll find reviews and even a guy installing a whole computer in it, thus showing the brilliant design of it. .

Thanks for the heads up.

It is a beast, how loud is the puppy? 140mm fans would lead me to think it might a bit loud

Edit:
The more I read up on this monster the more it looks like it fits my needs to a T. Yeah its expensive and a bit on the larger side but that looks like one great case.

m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
a c 81 à CPUs
August 25, 2010 5:42:52 PM

The obsidian(s) are not that great when it comes to air cooled setups.. For the asking price of the 800D, the Lian-Li PC A70F would be a better buy (considering only air cooling).. Also to consider is the CoolerMaster ATCS 840.. However, you don't seem to require a full tower.. A mid tower will fit your requirements perfectly.. If you've no problems with meshes (with dust filters ofcourse), I'll recommend the CoolerMaster Sniper.. It has ample space to be doubted as a full tower.. Wonderful cable management options combine with a silent operation and very good cooling.. There are ample amount of features for your interest and requirements.. The build quality is solid and it looks good also..
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
August 25, 2010 6:12:11 PM

Larger fans can turn slower (and quieter) and still move enough air for excellent cooling.

I'm thinking along with Emperus for removable motherboard trays and CPU cooler backing plate cut outs. Missing a black interior though.
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case Review and a video review here

Lian-Li PC A70F has the removable motherboard tray and back plate cut out. But it's also missing a black interior.

For everything on your list (except the removable motherboard tray) in a mid-tower and also a nice price. Fits CPU coolers as tall as 177mm.
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Case Review. Video review here.

m
l
August 26, 2010 11:46:30 AM

Thanks for the input. I've narrowed my choices to two cases - both corsairs.
the Obsidian 800D and the 600t (to be released on 09/23).

The 800D is probably a bit larger then what I was thinking and may not need all those drive 5" drive bays. The 600t looks like its little brother, but to be honest, it looks mite small.

If I keep the corsair H50 cooler, then I'm not very concerned about airflow as much as a traditional cpu cooler.

I love the idea of having all the cables routed out the back and keeping a clean look. Whether I'm willing to spend 250 for a case is really the issue now. From what I've read/saw the 800D has great reviews

Thanks
Mike
m
l
August 26, 2010 11:46:48 AM

Best answer selected by maflynn.
m
l
!