I am trying to create the ultimate system.

A Magazine

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
So, I don't actually plan on making this system anytime soon. I don't have the money to do it, but I'm just trying to see what my fellow geeks think about my ambition.

So, first off, assuming that I -was- going to build this computer, I would use it for everything. So, it would have to be able to play games decently fast, as well as do graphics in CADs well. I would also make audio (I make music.) Also, I am looking for the highest end parts imaginable.

So, my first actual question: For these purposes, would you suggest that I get a workstation gfx card, or a gaming card? I personally would go with a gaming, since that's what I would use it for more, but I would still like for my 3D programs to work well enough that I'm not left tearing my hair out.

Next up, motherboard and CPU wise. I would like for the CPUs to be two Phenom II x6 1090T Black Editions overclocked to 3.7ghz. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849&cm_re=phenom_ii_x6-_-19-103-849-_-Product,) which obviously brings up the point that I would need a motherboard that supports two Phenom II x6's. Also, I would need at least 4 PCIe slots and some PCI slots, for gfx cards and other addons, such as more USB ports/MIDI/whatever.

Erm... I would probably go for something like a 1000watt power supply from a respectable company.

I would need as much RAM as physically possible and as quick as possible, clockwise and lagwise. I'm not sure to go with registered for the added stability but lowered clock speed (1 cycle) or with unregistered for that one extra clock cycle. Also, as I said, as much memory as fast and lagless as possible.

The case wouldn't need to be anything special, just able to hold everything. But a nice case would be nice :p

I would go for liquid cooling for everything, so if anyone could point me to a liquid cooling kit that could cool 2 cpus and 2 gpus among everything else, that would be awesomesauce.

As for HDD and SSD, the motherboard would probably need to support 5 or 6 SATA disks, 4 or 5x 2TB HDDs and an 160GB SSD for my OS and critical applications.

If I'm forgetting anything monumental, can you please inform me in a calm, thoughtful manner? That would be great.

You wouldnt be able to do two Phenom IIs in a single board, the only multi CPU boards for AMD systems are for opterons in servers. What i would suggest would be a board using two LGA 1366 Xeons, . That then defines the RAM you need as ECC modules.

If you are going to be building a system of this level, why not both a gaming GPU like the 5970 and a workstation card? The workstation cards can perform a lot better in some apps than gaming cards so it kinda depends on what you are using and just how much imaginary monopoly money you care to spend on your dream.

For the power supply for a high end workstation i would definitely go for something like the Corsair AX 1200 once it gets released, it blew me away in its review at jonnyguru.