MBR Error 1, and doesnt boot to anything..

shoaibasghar

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
YouTube video was playing and suddenly computer hanged up, then blue screen and restart.
but on restart it said
"mbr error 1 insert floppy disk and press any key"
pressing key changes error from 1 to 2

put in windows 7 disk, started setup and chose repair but after 2 minutes of searching it gave blank box saying no problems with drive.

attached another drive with windows installed and computer worked fine. but when i attached the mbr error drive along and booted from disk 2 it just goes to blank screen after windows logo.

what to do...
it shows in bios that disk is being recognized. :(

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
There was a recent report of a virus that can delete the master boot record, if you go into the command line utility via the repair on the windows 7 disk you can access it. If you log into your partition (youll see when it pops up) you can run http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Refer to the fixmbr and fixboot section, run those both in that order and try the boot. I would recommend running memtest86+ as well to verify your memory isn't faulty.

shoaibasghar

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
ok so i tried to boot from healthy disk with faulty disk attached, it took a while to load, then it ran check-disk on faulty disk and corrected all but 1 drive saying its mbr is corrupt and windows can't fix it.

i deleted all the drives from faulty disk because hdtune showed pending sectors and zero filled it. This eliminated all pending sectors but did not rellocate them.
then i made a new single drive but now...
write speed is top notch but read speed has tanked

it is less than 10 mb/s.(hd tune bench even went as low as 0.8 mb/s)
while earlier it was ~90 in hd tune
whats going on.. is it fixable or bye bye drive?

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Time to run a disk diagnostic utility. Check your hard drive manufacturer's website for such a tool (Eg; Seatools)

Also, try: "Speedfan". it will read sensor info and run basic disk diagnostics. Your computer could be over heating and you could have RAM problems. check out the memtest86+ @ http://www.memtest.org/