tiny laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 28, 2004 1:16:03 PM

Hello,

I am in the market for very a very small laptop. Something between a

Sharp Zaurus C760
(http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?module=prodrev...
t&id=4)

and

Texas Instruments, Travelmate 4000e
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
rd=1)

I primarily interested in using it as a text editor via a terminal and a
simple GUI (like the most basic offered by Linux). Therefore, it needs to
have a keyboard I can use with both hands and type reasonable fast and a
resolution good enough to show a SIMPLE display.

Are there any resources I might use to find out what is out there?

Thank you,

Dan

More about : tiny laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 28, 2004 9:21:46 PM

In article <3a7gd.2$L35.1@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com>,
Dan Elliott <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am in the market for very a very small laptop.

http://www.oqo.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 9:16:48 AM

http://www.dynamism.com

"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> In article <3a7gd.2$L35.1@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com>,
> Dan Elliott <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am in the market for very a very small laptop.
>
> http://www.oqo.com

a b D Laptop
October 30, 2004 12:51:57 AM

Dan;
I have a Sony U3 that is very small; runs XP Pro, 512 meg RAM, 20 gig hard
drive, long life battery, bright screen, small but useable keyboard;
Japanese-market laptop that goes anywhere. Google search it and check it
out. Let me know if you are interested in getting it.
Thanks;

Ken
kwolf8380atcomcast.net

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:16:03 -0500, Dan Elliott
<dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the market for very a very small laptop. Something between a
>
> Sharp Zaurus C760
> (http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?module=prodrev...
> t&id=4)
>
> and
>
> Texas Instruments, Travelmate 4000e
> (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> rd=1)
>
> I primarily interested in using it as a text editor via a terminal and a
> simple GUI (like the most basic offered by Linux). Therefore, it needs
> have a keyboard I can use with both hands and type reasonable fast and a
> resolution good enough to show a SIMPLE display.
>
> Are there any resources I might use to find out what is out there?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dan

a b D Laptop
October 30, 2004 6:09:53 AM

www.dynamism.com is
the best source for
tiny laptops.

dk

"Dan Elliott" <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am in the market for very a very small laptop. Something between a
>
> Sharp Zaurus C760

(http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?module=prodrev...
> t&id=4)
>
> and
>
> Texas Instruments, Travelmate 4000e

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> rd=1)
>
> I primarily interested in using it as a text editor via a terminal and a
> simple GUI (like the most basic offered by Linux). Therefore, it needs to
> have a keyboard I can use with both hands and type reasonable fast and a
> resolution good enough to show a SIMPLE display.
>
> Are there any resources I might use to find out what is out there?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 30, 2004 11:20:44 AM

Might try an old Sony Picturebook.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2004 12:09:36 PM

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> http://www.dynamism.com
>

> "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
> >
> > In article <3a7gd.2$L35.1@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com>,
> > Dan Elliott <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I am in the market for very a very small laptop.
> >
> > http://www.oqo.com

Wow! Amazing machines! What is a better term for these "tiny laptops" to
aid my future searches?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2004 12:10:59 PM

"E Brown" <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> Might try an old Sony Picturebook.
> Emanuel

Great suggestion! How long has the Sony Picturebook been manufactured? How
much money should I expect to spend? How comparable is the hardware when
compared to other laptops at the time?

Thank you,

Dan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 7, 2004 3:51:47 AM

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:10:59 -0600, "Dan Elliott"
<dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> wrote:

>"E Brown" <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
>> Might try an old Sony Picturebook.
>> Emanuel
>
>Great suggestion! How long has the Sony Picturebook been manufactured? How
>much money should I expect to spend? How comparable is the hardware when
>compared to other laptops at the time?

The Picturebook has been around since at least 1998, and early
models can be found for less than $500. Until recently, there was
nothing smaller, or with as good potential battery life (with double
and quadruple capacity batteries available). The built in camera is
also convenient.
Chief weakness is OS support and memory for the earlier models.
Getting the camera to work with Windows' newer versions is a challenge
(but do-able) and max memory is around 256MB for the earlier versions
since the 256MB chip is NLA. The C1-M is the most up-to-date and
misses those issues.
Emanuel
!