Ever replace an LCD screen?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 17, 2004 9:43:58 PM

When my just off warranty Nikon 950 slipped it's gears, a few posts on
this forum talked me through the repair-- which, BTW has held up fine
for 3 years now.

Now I have another disaster. My daughter dropped my wife's Canon A60
& the LCD appears to be broken. The exterior is intact, but the
image looks like a broken window. Otherwise the camera works fine.

Repair through my local store is $150. [A new A75 is under $200]

So-- I wonder if I should give this a try before I toss the old A60.
I haven't even taken it apart yet so I don't know if I'll be soldering
or just plugging things in. [and I don't know if Canon will sell me
the parts.]

Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
[including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']

Thanks
Jim

More about : replace lcd screen

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 9:43:59 PM

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> When my just off warranty Nikon 950 slipped it's gears, a few posts on
> this forum talked me through the repair-- which, BTW has held up fine
> for 3 years now.
>
> Now I have another disaster. My daughter dropped my wife's Canon A60
> & the LCD appears to be broken. The exterior is intact, but the
> image looks like a broken window. Otherwise the camera works fine.
>
> Repair through my local store is $150. [A new A75 is under $200]
>
> So-- I wonder if I should give this a try before I toss the old A60.
> I haven't even taken it apart yet so I don't know if I'll be soldering
> or just plugging things in. [and I don't know if Canon will sell me
> the parts.]
>
> Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
> replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
> [including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']
>
> Thanks
> Jim
I've had my A70 (almost identical to an A60) stripped down completely.
The LCD unplugs, as does everything.
Here are some sources for parts-
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592DD332824-Replacem...
I don't see a LCD listed for the A60 but the A70 is listed at $36 and I
think it is the same.
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P3552497-Replacem...
At least according to the Canon parts list-
http://www.f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/POWER%20SHOT%...
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 10:20:31 PM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:43:58 GMT, Jim Elbrecht <Elbrecht@email.com>
wrote:

>Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
>replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
>[including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']

Do you *need* the LCD to work in order to use the camera?

...I mean, if you press the button, will it take a photo?

--
Owamanga!
December 17, 2004 11:25:08 PM

tomcas <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

>> Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
>> replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
>> [including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']

>I've had my A70 (almost identical to an A60) stripped down completely.
>The LCD unplugs, as does everything.

Super! My eyes and hands aren't what they once were & I hate
soldering tiny things.

>Here are some sources for parts-
>http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592DD332824-Replacem...
>I don't see a LCD listed for the A60 but the A70 is listed at $36 and I
>think it is the same.
>http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P3552497-Replacem...
>At least according to the Canon parts list-
>http://www.f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/POWER%20SHOT%...

Excellent-- Thanks a million. I love it when Usenet is so efficient.
[28 minutes from post to answer.]

Hmm--- I've taken out the 4 short screws and one longer one [in the
CF compartment] but there seems to be something holding it yet.
Does the plastic LCD cover or one of those switches pop off? Or do I
have to attack it from the other side?

That exploded view that you sent the link for is great-- I just wish
they showed both sides.<g>

Thanks again-
Jim
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 11:26:19 PM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:20:31 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:43:58 GMT, Jim Elbrecht <Elbrecht@email.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
>>replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
>>[including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']
>>

>Do you *need* the LCD to work in order to use the camera?
>
>..I mean, if you press the button, will it take a photo?

It still works fine & I can use the viewfinder to take pictures.
Just can't review them in the camera.

Jim
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:07:56 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:26:19 GMT, Jim Elbrecht <Elbrecht@email.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:20:31 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:43:58 GMT, Jim Elbrecht <Elbrecht@email.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
>>>replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
>>>[including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']
>>>

>>Do you *need* the LCD to work in order to use the camera?
>>
>>..I mean, if you press the button, will it take a photo?
>
>It still works fine & I can use the viewfinder to take pictures.
>Just can't review them in the camera.

Cool, just think of all the batteries you'll be saving. Dump the
pictures onto the PC and do the culling there, you can't see much on
those tiny screens anyway.

Does it have a TV out port? - You could even use that at a push.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> tomcas <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:
>

>>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>

> -snip-
>
>>>Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
>>>replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
>>>[including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']
>

>>I've had my A70 (almost identical to an A60) stripped down completely.
>>The LCD unplugs, as does everything.
>

> Super! My eyes and hands aren't what they once were & I hate
> soldering tiny things.
>

>>Here are some sources for parts-
>>http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592DD332824-Replacem...
>>I don't see a LCD listed for the A60 but the A70 is listed at $36 and I
>>think it is the same.
>>http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P3552497-Replacem...
>>At least according to the Canon parts list-
>>http://www.f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/POWER%20SHOT%...
>

> Excellent-- Thanks a million. I love it when Usenet is so efficient.
> [28 minutes from post to answer.]
>
> Hmm--- I've taken out the 4 short screws and one longer one [in the
> CF compartment] but there seems to be something holding it yet.
> Does the plastic LCD cover or one of those switches pop off? Or do I
> have to attack it from the other side?
>
> That exploded view that you sent the link for is great-- I just wish
> they showed both sides.<g>
>
> Thanks again-
> Jim

Here is short guide I wrote for another person, keep track of the
screws, many are different.

Don't forget the 2 screws on the bottom, 1 on
the back under the compact flash door,1 under the compact flash slot
heading into the area of the wrist strap,1 screw in the CR battery
compartment accessible after removing the CR battery, remove the wrist
strap,2 screw in the AA battery compartment, remove the top
zoom/shutter/speaker thingy even if you don't unplug the connector but
just have it hanging loose. Next, this is where it gets hairy. The back
cover will come off by prying at the bottom and almost pivoting at the
top, but the bastard has little catches at the top.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 6:23:01 PM

> >Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >>
> >> Any guidance on where to buy the lcd- how to get into the camera &
> >> replacing the LCD would be appreciated.
> >> [including 'you're nuts'- 'it can't be done' or 'the lcd costs $150']

I'm late to the thread, but I saw a German site which had detailed
dismantling instruction for the whole camera (A75?). I can't google it
just now, but you may be able to or someone else might have the link.

I also downloaded a service manual from somewhere which included parts
lists and quite a few exploded diagrams. Maybe you have this now? if
not, I will email if you can provide an address.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:44:38 PM

tomcas <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:

-snip-
>Here is short guide I wrote for another person, keep track of the
>screws, many are different.

Thanks-- and thanks for the warning on the screws. I've
re-assembled it & will do it all once I have the screen in hand.
[and while photographing the progress]

>Don't forget the 2 screws on the bottom, 1 on
>the back under the compact flash door,1 under the compact flash slot
>heading into the area of the wrist strap,1 screw in the CR battery
>compartment accessible after removing the CR battery,

That's the tricky one-- hard to get the CR battery compartment open--
another [different length] screw right there on the outside. . . . .

>remove the wrist
>strap,2 screw in the AA battery compartment, remove the top
>zoom/shutter/speaker thingy even if you don't unplug the connector but
>just have it hanging loose.

That would've stymied me-- From examining it I didn't think that
needed to come off.

> Next, this is where it gets hairy. The back
>cover will come off by prying at the bottom and almost pivoting at the
>top, but the bastard has little catches at the top.

Thanks again for the pointers. Just knowing that it *has* been done
is a big thing.

For the archives-- in case someone in the future tries this repair--
I'd only add that you want a 000 Phillips driver. One with a long
[at least 2 1/2 inches] magnetized shank will make removal and
replacement of the screw in the CF compartment easier. [probably will
help with those in the battery compartment, too, but I didn't get that
far & my daughter is using the camera today.]

Jim
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:27:25 PM

Bruce Graham <jbgraham@nowhere.com.au> wrote:

-snip-
>I'm late to the thread, but I saw a German site which had detailed
>dismantling instruction for the whole camera (A75?). I can't google it
>just now, but you may be able to or someone else might have the link.

I'm usually pretty good with Google-- but this one fails me. I've
tried variations of a60, a70, a75 & disassemble, 'Take apart'
dismantle & repair. I think tomcas' directions should get me
through-- but if it comes to you, I'd still like to look at the site.

>I also downloaded a service manual from somewhere which included parts
>lists and quite a few exploded diagrams. Maybe you have this now? if
>not, I will email if you can provide an address.

Thanks for the offer, but the link Tomcas posted has several exploded
views-
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P3552497-Replacem...

thanks,
Jim
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:06:54 PM

In article <dv4bs0d8uq8h87d59ka786gqmh9l1nst4f@4ax.com>,
Elbrecht@email.com says...
> >I'm late to the thread, but I saw a German site which had detailed
> >dismantling instruction for the whole camera (A75?). I can't google it
> >just now, but you may be able to or someone else might have the link.
>
> I'm usually pretty good with Google-- but this one fails me. I've
> tried variations of a60, a70, a75 & disassemble, 'Take apart'
> dismantle & repair. I think tomcas' directions should get me
> through-- but if it comes to you, I'd still like to look at the site.

I think the site may have been written in German, but it had *lots* of
photos. So you would have to google in german? the site related to the
error you get when the lens is jammed (e18? or e99?).

Bingo.... but no cigar... I just googled on the error code and it relates
to the digital IXUS, but you will probably be interested anyway.

http://www.ixus-world.de/index.htm?tips/repair_guide/e1...

good luck
!