Sign in with
Your question

Dual Channel RAM

Last response: in Memory
March 26, 2011 4:42:51 PM

This is just a random question out of nowhere, but what will dual channel ram improve over single channel ram?

My friend asked me and I didn't have an answer. He has a somewhat old (core 2 duo) system and was thinking about adding another stick of ram for dual channel and getting windows 7 64 bit. He's a moderate gamer who likes recording things he does with fraps.

I saw Tom's Hardware did a test a while ago and said that the improvement from single to dual is around 5% for gaming.

He also wanted to know if the dual channel RAM will improve transferring big fraps files to his new 2nd hard drive. That again, I didn't have an answer for.

More about : dual channel ram

a b } Memory
March 26, 2011 8:00:25 PM

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

More than the architecture itself, the increased amount of memory will surely show benefits to your friend system.. It will enable smoother multi-tasking experience and better application performance.. However, make sure that the memory sticks are identical (same if possible)..
March 26, 2011 9:13:27 PM

Emperus said:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

More than the architecture itself, the increased amount of memory will surely show benefits to your friend system.. It will enable smoother multi-tasking experience and better application performance.. However, make sure that the memory sticks are identical (same if possible)..

Read through that, thanks.

Does anyone have a personal experience when they upgraded from single to dual channel RAM?
!