Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crucial M4 128GB SSD to buy?

Last response: in Storage
August 22, 2012 7:25:42 PM

Hi, thanks for reading first of all, and I do apologize if this question has been asked before.

So, i was planning to buy a SSD as the last part of my new build- A Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD. However, after reading up on it and such it seems to be having a decently large number of complaints regarding random freezes. These random freezes are apparently generated due a certain update to the SSD that crusial released - Firmware 000F - and apparently when being used for over 5000 hours the SSD will reboot every hour or so. I'm not sure if i got everything right but i believe this is roughly the issue people are having.

Now i saw that the posts regarding this issue where posted as early as January, however I am not sure if it is fixed yet or not. Anyhow my questions are, is it worth it buying this SSD? Am i taking a risk/gamble? has it been fixed? if it's still risky, would you guys be able to suggest me a good SSD that does not have any common issues and is pretty much near the price of this one and has the same capacity (currently £78 on Amazon)

Thanks allot guys!

More about : crucial 128gb ssd buy

a b G Storage
August 22, 2012 7:50:28 PM

Nothing is risk free. Crucial's record is as good as anybody's and better than most. My M4 has been perfect.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 22, 2012 7:52:53 PM

I echo ram's statement. My M4 has been solid. It has worked much better than my Vertex 2.

Go for either a M4 - Samsung 830. Whichever one is cheaper - they are both solid SSD's.

The 5000hr bug with the M4 is a thing of the past and all M4's should be shipping with the latest firmware.
Related resources
August 22, 2012 7:56:41 PM

Best answer selected by mrah.
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:57:12 PM

Ah baller, thanks guys. Good to know it's been fixed.
m
l
!