• Core
  • Bottleneck
  • CPUs
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2010 6:30:40 PM

how much do you think a core 2 duo E4500 @ 2.2Ghz will bottleneck a geforce 470......???

More about : cpu bottlenecking

a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 6:42:12 PM

That all depends on the game, graphics settings, and resolutions. Your question needs to be a tad more specific.

However, in a general sense, I would think that adding a 470 when you have an E4500 would definitely make the CPU the slowest part in your system (discounting RAM, motherboard, hdd, etc). Meaning that you'll cap out a certain framerate and changing resolutions or settings won't do much because your CPU can't keep up with your GPU.
m
l
May 20, 2010 5:48:57 PM

would overclocking have any effect...
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 5:53:55 PM

borisof007 said:
That all depends on the game, graphics settings, and resolutions. Your question needs to be a tad more specific.

However, in a general sense, I would think that adding a 470 when you have an E4500 would definitely make the CPU the slowest part in your system (discounting RAM, motherboard, hdd, etc). Meaning that you'll cap out a certain framerate and changing resolutions or settings won't do much because your CPU can't keep up with your GPU.

if i change my cpu what do u think will be better a quad core or a core i5
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 6:07:21 PM

Since you currently have an e4500 you're on a socket 775 (the type of socket your motherboard has to accept CPU's).

This limits you greatly as you CANNOT fit a core i5 on your motherboard. The core i5 series is a socket 1156. You can, however, get a Q9400 which is a socket 775 quad core processor that packs a nice punch. I personally have a Q9450 that's oc'd from 2.6 to 3.2 ghz on air.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
May 20, 2010 9:16:56 PM

i have the same problem as you but with a E8400 oc at 3.6 ghz and a 5870. Your best option is to get a Q9550 or so and OC to 3.4 on air easy. Even at 3.6 ghz i get bottlenecked in Assassins creed 2 at 35 fps sometimes. Dirt 2 bottlenecks at 63 fps so thats not bad. Bad company 2 bottlenecks at around 30 sometimes and its all cause of the CPU.

So depending on what games u play OCing wont help u too much, might aswell get a Q9550 and take advantage of ur 470.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 10:01:49 PM

Microcenter sells (in-store only) those babies (Q9550) for $190 so look em up!
m
l
May 24, 2010 7:27:12 AM

shening said:
i have the same problem as you but with a E8400 oc at 3.6 ghz and a 5870. Your best option is to get a Q9550 or so and OC to 3.4 on air easy. Even at 3.6 ghz i get bottlenecked in Assassins creed 2 at 35 fps sometimes. Dirt 2 bottlenecks at 63 fps so thats not bad. Bad company 2 bottlenecks at around 30 sometimes and its all cause of the CPU.

So depending on what games u play OCing wont help u too much, might aswell get a Q9550 and take advantage of ur 470.

what is your screen resolution......does assassins creed 2 always runs at that much fps only....
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 7:35:29 AM

Yeh, a 2.2GHz dual core will bottleneck a GTX470 by A LOT.

Even latest generation Core2duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz and 6mb of cache bottlenecks a GTX285 in various games.

A 5850 is about 10% better than a GTX285, and a GTX470 is about 10% better than a 5850.

If you OC a 2.2GHz to maybe 3.0GHz, I would recommend a 5770 (equal to a 4870 or GTX260). Otherwise, upgrade your CPU.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 8:03:43 AM

If you're planning to get a GTX470 setup, you're better off dealing with your CPU first. The best thing to do is to upgrade to an i5/i7. Upgrading to a better LGA775 socket CPU won't help you in the long run. However, upgrading to an i5/i7 will also mean upgrading your motherboard and RAM (and possibly power supply, especially if you want that GTX470).

The answer to your question is a lot. A dual core at 2.2Ghz will cause heaps of frame rate issues in newer games, especially if paired with a strong graphics card. Overclocking will help, but definitely is not a long term fix and you will still encounter bottlenecks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 3:20:05 PM

This link is from Tom's "Building a Balanced Gaming CPU"- they're getting the same performance out of older dual and quad core processors as they are from OC'd Core i7 920. Yes, the OC's are pretty heavy (especially on the E8400- 4.4GHz!) but they are air cooled and it just speaks to the fact that most games are very GPU reliant and you can make that old processor go far with a little work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 4:28:12 PM

That's only under very steep overclocking. Not to mention, the OP only has an e4500, which wouldn't even come close to 4.0Ghz. If you look at the individual charts, you can see that the dual cores fall short almost every time in any resolution and the quad core still trails the i5 and i7. Especially when it comes to high-end graphics cards at high resolutions, the margin undoubtedly grows in distance as the CPU gets better. Unless you plan on running a high-end card at lower resolutions, the conclusive charts do not show the real story. Tom's adjusted target frames per second is 40-48. That is definitely acceptable (other sites use 30fps) but if we're looking for raw data on simply bottlenecking, you have to look at the individual performance charts. And don't forget that it's under intensive overclocking. Also, the OP's CPU isn't even comparable to their low end e6300.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 4:53:53 PM

You are looking at the charts the wrong way...., the only cases where it can bee seen performance increase over 1 cpu to another, is with DUAL GPU cards, not single gpu cards. There's no such thing as bottleneck in 2 core processor as much as it is in 4 core processor over single gpu cards.

God, what obsession with bottleneck....

Quote:

You are looking at it the wrong way too! you have NON bottleneck from your rig, as I have the EXACT same parts e8400 and it is clocked to 3.61GHZ, and hd 5870. Assasins creed 2 is a VERY VERY bad ported game and it is not to be counted for in this matter at all.

Try not to spread things of what you have no knowledge and facts for it..

Why the hell would you think that having a old core 2 processor would reduce performance in 10 fps? or more? please.... it is true that is old yes, but with a little overclock to 2.8 you are set. If you don't like the idea, a E7400/E8400 is enough for single gpu cards, and this way you don't need to change the motherboard..(no need for a quad core or i5/i7).

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 8:37:27 PM

Let's not use the term bottlenecking then. But to ignore the CPU scaling difference between dual-cores/quad-cores or Core 2 Duos to i7s would be the wrong thing to do.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/clarkdale-...

This test is done with a single HD5870. With improvements already visible, having a Bloomfield or Lynnfield will beat out the Penryns in the long haul. The marginal difference will only increase as games start becoming more intensive, not only on the GPU but also on the CPU. Games will start optimizing for the utilization of more cores. Plus, with so many people today jumping into CrossfireX and SLI, ignoring the scaling difference for dual-GPUs will also be the wrong thing to do. What if the OP decides to SLI in the future? Being stuck with a dual-core like an e8400 will then be the limiting factor for his system. The SLI setup will heavily outweigh the CPU's capabilities. What if future games start utilizing quad cores to its maximum? Games like BFBC2 are already showing limitations because of the CPU.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

And if we just look at raw data, at lower resolutions it's clear where the CPUs cap off at. A Core 2 Duo rated at 4.1 GHz pulls in 191fps at 1280x1024 in UT3. The i7 pulls in 329fps at the same clock rate. Obviously, they're both more than playable frame rates, but that's not what we're looking at. We're simply looking at how much of a difference the CPUs show. It won't have the same effect at higher resolutions as the GPU will become the dominant factor. But just knowing that a Core 2 Duo caps off so much earlier than an i7 at the same clock rate should raise a concern to consumers who tend to keep their build for at least a few years (along with occasional upgrades on the GPU, monitor, RAM, etc).

I have no problem with telling the OP to upgrade to a dual core that has a higher stock clock rate. And I agree that the difference between an i7 and an overclocked e8400 will be small. And anything will be better than what he has now. I'm just stating what many graphs have shown.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_...
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_...

There's a reason why so many websites scale CPUs with dual-GPU systems. It's because it shows how much of a difference a CPU makes. But yes, it's true, a single GPU system will not be held back by the CPU much. But it doesn't change the data that shows that CPU does have a limiting factor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 9:28:07 PM

grtsarav said:
how much do you think a core 2 duo E4500 @ 2.2Ghz will bottleneck a geforce 470......???

Ultimately, an e4500 @ 2.2Ghz is going to limit how much ability you get out of a GTX 470. Plain and simple, at some point (be it a particular game, or particular resolution) your CPU will indeed limit the capability of the GTX 470.

More importantly, you need to identify what resolution you'll be gaming at in the first place. Unless you play at 1920x1080 (1080p) or higher, there's absolutely no point in having a GTX 470. Anything lower resolution than that, will run perfectly fine with an ATI 5770, 4870, or GTX 260 (and possibly with lesser cards depending on resolution, settings, and the game itself).

Some newer games (Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for example) are becoming more CPU demanding. Bad Company 2 takes advantage of Quad Core processors very well. :)  Depending on your other system specs, you may be able to get into a Core 2 Duo Quad Core (Q9xxx series) for under $200 as a decent upgrade.

Or you could consider moving to a new AM3 platform with an AMD Phenom II X4 955... or even better an Intel 1156 socket (P55 motherboards) with an i5-750 which does fantastic. New Dual-Core systems can indeed game, but I personally would not build a dual-core gaming rig at this point in the game.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 9:45:23 PM

I understand Skolpo, I'm trying for you guys not have the man buy all newest tech because of a bunch of IF's. Over 3 years people were buying the quad cores stating that in the near future they would be super useful in games, and yet here we are.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 83 à CPUs
May 24, 2010 11:02:15 PM

kiban said:
I understand Skolpo, I'm trying for you guys not have the man buy all newest tech because of a bunch of IF's. Over 3 years people were buying the quad cores stating that in the near future they would be super useful in games, and yet here we are.

Quads do finally perform better in a lot of games, catch is your still gpu limited in a lot of cases so a dual core does just fine.
m
l
May 28, 2010 3:28:17 PM

i have decided to go for a core i5...how to add a physics card......
m
l
May 29, 2010 11:50:07 AM

Best answer selected by grtsarav.
m
l
!