Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New video card reboots computer. Do i need more power?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2010 6:31:31 PM

I just purchased a evga geforce 285 gtx. the computer boots up and programs run fine, but whenever i do anything graphically intensive, the computer reboots. even when running the windows 7 ranking benchmark thingy. I tested this by trying to run Dawn of War 2, 5 seconds after the opening sequence it reboots...every time.
also ran 3dmark06...it lasted a bit longer, after 2 gpu tests it rebooted.

i have a 2 1/2 year old 600w power supply. it's a cheap brand i'm sure. i'm running 2 hard drives, a coz cpu heatsink/fan unit on my q6600, 4 gigs of ram, cdrw and dvdrw. PSU calculator told me i need 650w power supply, i thought mine was good enough @ 600w. do i need a better PSU? if so, what do you recommend on a tight budget? ($50-60)

thanks!
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 8:46:03 PM

Certainly don't get the first one. I'll give you a very fast way to tell if a PSU should even be considered. See the little red voltage switch on the back of the HEC PSU? That's a BAD thing. That means the PSU doesn't have active PFC and is better used as a door stop. A quality PSU will have active PFC, be at least 80+ certified, and put out most of its power on the 12v rail where it's needed by modern systems. The second unit is slightly better, but still risky IMO.

The PSU I recommended is only $10 over your stated budget. It's actually cheaper before MIR that the Sunbeam unit you posted because it has free shipping which makes it $69.99 shipped when you use the promo code. You should try to stick to the known quality PSU manufacturers like Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, & Seasonic. It's worth it, trust me.
May 19, 2010 8:50:27 PM

Best answer selected by mankstergangster.
m
l
May 15, 2013 8:06:27 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
Certainly don't get the first one. I'll give you a very fast way to tell if a PSU should even be considered. See the little red voltage switch on the back of the HEC PSU? That's a BAD thing. That means the PSU doesn't have active PFC and is better used as a door stop. A quality PSU will have active PFC, be at least 80+ certified, and put out most of its power on the 12v rail where it's needed by modern systems. The second unit is slightly better, but still risky IMO.

The PSU I recommended is only $10 over your stated budget. It's actually cheaper before MIR that the Sunbeam unit you posted because it has free shipping which makes it $69.99 shipped when you use the promo code. You should try to stick to the known quality PSU manufacturers like Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, & Seasonic. It's worth it, trust me.

m
l
May 15, 2013 8:08:28 AM

Glad you did not include Thermaltake as an option because it causes system re-boot. Very expensive and guaranteed to fail.
m
l
!