View larger map 18670 Northwest Freeway, Houston, TX
Call for availability: (281) 469-8886

3 seller ratings New $29.95
svc.com 2,030 seller ratings New $29.99
ExcaliberPC 613 seller ratings New $32.26
AVADirect.com 602 seller ratings New $31.40
Sundial Micro Show all 4Hide all 323 seller ratings New $23.50

Bottom Line Telecom 110 seller ratings New $24.07
NextDayPC Show all 2Hide all 74 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $9.95 $37.33 $27.38

Vision Computers 3 seller ratings New $31.99
applied-computer.com 17 seller ratings New $30.14
Digital Universe 105 seller ratings New $31.27
AntaresPro.com 175 seller ratings New $32.99
Capitol Supply 14 seller ratings New Tax: $2.80 + Shipping: $7.99 $44.72 $33.93
Virtech Computer Consulti... No rating New $34.50
PCConnection Express 290 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $11.61 $38.97 $27.36
Gov Group 10 seller ratings New $23.76
Linke Computer 13 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $9.99 $35.29 $25.30

tecmo34

Administrator
If we want Newegg to drop the price, we just stop recommending the Hyper 212+ for builds and it'll go back down. :)

I remember when the i7's first came out, everyone recommended the OCZ Platinums and BAMM... price shut up... We stopped... Prices went back to "normal".

Yes... We here at Tom's can influence Newegg's selling prices by our superior recommendations :)

Okay, I might still be dreaming here but sounds good [:mousemonkey:5]

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
BAM !!

ZACKATACKALLY !! I'll just bet that WE recommended the Hyper 212+ so exclusively, and for so long, that egg-town's cooler vendors started asking them WHY egg was not moving ANY of THEIR coolers ... like ... I think they got mad and started to complain.

SCYTHE, it is, then !!!

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

I think there is more truth to that than you think...

It seems like whenever one of the "best bang for your buck" articles is written here, prices on that item rise. Of course it's also due to all of the recommendations here on the forums.

For instance, one of the memory roundups a while back. I wanna say Crucial had the definite bang for your buck being the cheapest set. I added that memory to my wish list, but checked it like a month later and it was one of the most expensive.

Same deal with the Hyper 212+. I read that heatsink roundup and added it to my wishlist. Everyone here on the forums was also recommending it. When it came time for me to buy, the 212 was $60 at newegg, not $30. Other stores had it cheaper, but NO ONE had it available. Finally I just decided to spend a bit more and get a Mugen-2 rev.B.

I think every once in a while there is a product that gets so bought into in the forums that vendors notice and therefore increase their prices. Maybe we should be more careful about how we word our posts so that it doesn't seem like we are raving over one product.

Anyways i'm rambling, but those are my thoughts.

Chuckles_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I have a 212+ that has been sitting in my closet unused since the day I got it (free) and benchmarked it on my i7-930. I thought it was overpriced at $30. That MaximumPC review that Newegg reacted to (or so it seems) is a big pile of crap.

The 212+ went wayyy up in price after it had sold out for a few days, i think when it went out of stock someone realized that they could make a killing off it. Im hoping for it to drop a bit farther and then im going to get one for myself, i knew i should have grabbed it earlier when it was 30

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well ... Any "single vertical stack / heat-pipe" cooler with a push-pull option is going to be about as good (by and large).

I just got a Zahlman that looks zactly like the 212 ... Noctua makes one and so does RoseWill and a few others .... It really is about the static pressure and noise level of the fans, than the heat-sink (IMO).

I like the zhlman because it is cheap and comes with one good fan and also comes with a screw-kit and clips for a 2nd 120x25mm fan ... I ordered two scythe "gentle typhoon" fans and will re-task the original zahlman fan to blow on my two passive Zotac 240 GPUs. Noctua also gives LNAs and ULNA adapters with their kit ... most of these single stacks will fit any modern socket, as well.

... Zahlman also comes with decent paste.

= Alvin =

4745454b

Titan
I got mine when it was $30 with free shipping. Toss in the 10% code I got from Hard, and that basically paid for the tax I get charged for living in CA. Its not a bad cooler, but I wish the backplate was easier to get on. $30 is a good price for it, its not a $60 cooler. No mater how much they wish it was.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah I think toms really does play a large role in newegg's pricing. Especially considering that once a few veterans and addicts like yourselfs claim something is good and give a viable explanation many people who read your reccomendation will reccomend it aswell. A while ago before the hyper212+ was at 60 everyone reccomended it everywhere. Wether it was a 600dollar build or a 4k one.

Which I found very frustrating really I mean a 30dollar cooler on a 4k build?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Yeah ... [chuckling] ...

I am 50 years old ... when my (late) dad's uncle told of racing stock-cars, in the early days of the sport, ... He said ... "Yeah ... we raced on Sears & Roebuck's tires and we broke our trannies in HARD, to shear the gears off, flat."

Hey ... Good ... Cheap ... Works ... What's not to like ?

The Hyper 212+ is a very decent value, at $30 ... but not (even) at $35. I went with a Zahlman.

B T W . . . The stock fan, on the 212+ has been said to be noisey (at best) ... and some many reviewers have said that it is really crappy and very boisey but moves plenty of air.

So ... Any of these single-stack/heat-pipe coolers should have TWO fans and BOTH of those fans should be the same model (matched pair), anyway.

I'd rather have the HSF and mounting hardware for TWO fans ... for $25 ... KEEP your STING-KING fan (and bad-jezz) ... give me extra screws and clips and LNA/ULNA adapters, instead (we all win).

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Actually ... I just remembered ... The tires were J.C. Penny's ... NOT Sears ... just for the sake of historical accuracy ... He said ... "That's what every last one of us raced on ... JC Penny's Radials".

= Just for the record =

I think all of you are missing the point of what newegg is doing. It has nothing to do with the forums or articles. Its all about perception.

What they do is increase the price of an item substantially and then a week later drop it back and claim it is XYZ dollars off the regular price. They have done this forever.

Next week it will be $30 again and listed as $20 off regular price or have a $20 rebate or some gimmick like that. Its their way.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
no ... sorry "FALC" ... twice in a row, now ... it is YOU who are wrong .... While your intelligence seems above average and your logic seems (almost) sound ... you simply do not have the experience or the complete picture ... I can see how you might be absolutely sure that you are correct, but we (career pros) happen to know that you are wrong.

Not to say that egg does not jigger pricing and manipulate percieved incentives ... all that is true ... but has VERY little to do with the hyper 212 "story" ...

... That list of 100 other vendors that have it for ~$29 lends credence.

You should have more trust in the community and less trust in your own (faulty) opinion. I have taken the time to go over your posts ... just to make sure my read was correct ... it was.

I really don't care what you say on THIS thread, tho (so go right ahead), because nobody is spending their hard earned money on anything, here ... we're just shootin' the breeze.

You may not THINK you are "wrong" ... here ... but ... stick around ... you will "get it" , in time ... you are smart enough ... that ain't the prob.

= Al = (yer pal)

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

I tottally agree I have a noctua d14 with two low noise high quality fans. They may be very good for their noise level but what's the point of having 20dbel fans if you have an hdd that does 26 at IDLE. I have a fan controller and it would have been great to have 2.5k rpm fan which I can dial up or down according to my usage. I think thermalright is going down the right path with their heatsink only products although I would have liked to see enough fan clips and cables(I'm not sure if they are included but I thought they weren't enough fan clips for some heatsinks)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
point of 20dB fans, when your HDD is loud, is this ...

The config that I just purchased has two scythe gentle typhoon fans (under 20dB) and two passive Zotac 240 GPUs ... I also have a 128MB SSD (boot & critical apps) ... AND ... the KEY "game changer" ... I have TWO F3 HDDs and BOTH are mounted in removable (hot swap) drive carriers (a.k.a. "mobile" racks) ...

Most of what I do does not require a large capacity HDD, ... those are just for vid-edit and media archives, etc. If I need to do live studio recording (DAW mode), I just pull my HDDs a half inch out of their racks to disengage them. This makes any cooling fans the loudest components (given that the DVDR is idle).

... I'm just sharing some "silence strategies", here, because HTPC & Live Audio DAW configs "need" silence ...

... The other strategy is to stream media content from a remote (home) server, which is not in the viewing room ... or move selected content from slower NAS to the local SSD, just prior to viewing.

My Corsair P128 (128GB) SSD has PLEN-TEE of room for live audio recording (video narration, voice-overs, practical sound effects and original scoring and musical "bridges", etc.) ... The vehicular traffic, outside my urban condo, is my biggest noise concern (problem), now.

I realize that my needs and tricks do not apply to every build but, with media content creation as "the new global literacy", I believe we will see the media content project studio ... and the HTPC ... and the need for silence ... more and more (and sooner).

= Al =

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
You seem to be quite concerned about silence :p. What do you actually do for a living?

Nice strategy with the hot swap. Sadly though I don't yet have an ssd or home server.

On that note would you buld or buy a home server?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
no ... a home server might seem like a great idea and most of the folks who attempt a DIY have a clear modicum of tech prowess (or none!) ... especially with regard to OS/Drvr/Utility challenges (i.e. sw config).

I make my money in the stock market and local real-estate ... not a tycoon, by any stretch, but have managed to avert total ruin, thus far.

As far as my technical career goes ... My 1st build was an IMSAI S-100 which had no kb or monitor ... all I/O was via front panel switches and LEDs (and A/D-D/A cards).

2nd build was a Heath-Zenith Z-100 (soldered the components onto the boards ...
... I attended the 1st MCC (Micro-electronicts and Computer Convention, which became COMDEX.

Byte Magazine was the "THG" of it's day ... I worked in Texas Instruments Warehouses system (here, in Austin) and used to jump my dirt-bike off their loading dock ... jousted with sprint-class forklifts, using fire-extinguishers, and wore a static strap and a stack of operator qualifications licences for a number of different classes of fork-lifts. I weighed discreet components and bagged them ... I dated QC babes from the wave-solder section, across the conveyor belts and dodged mail delivery robots, in 1976 ...

.... Tested out of HS and attended AUM, at age 16 ... Was a Ballistic (C-3 SLBM) Fire controll tech, at age 19, and competed as member of "team TS olympics" with the fate of the world, in the balance (this is sort of like a 5-minute shopping spree, except, instead of shopping carts, you are racing down isles of rack-gear (digital geo-ballistic computers and launch support gear) ... pushing a 100 LB Oscilliscope (on wheels) and throwing open rack panels and deck plates with frantic fervor ... fun!!!

... Tracor AeroSpace ... PC and LAN Lab and Rep to the PC standards council ... Integrated clones and NEC/APCs with sperry mainframes and bridges to token-ring (mac/pubs) and departmental LANs, etc.

... Group Technologies (also CTC) in the Austin Technology Incubator (network decision groupware dev support ... sourced and build a networked co-laboratory (technography board-rooms) and integrated products on site at UT school of buisness classroom 2000 and at Univ of Phoenix, and several other sites.

Worked with netserv (ran miles of cable and installed netware all over Texas) ...

Also interned at an architectural firm (earth-sheltered solar schools and hospitals) in Alabama and surrounding states ... Installed/Represented for Energy Management Systems (automagic ducting and solar tracking, etc.).

I'll skip over compuadd and move to DELL L2 Tech Support ... Team Leader ... Group Leader ... Corporate accounts rep., server/ws queue, etc.

UT Austin Dept. of Radio-TV-Film ... Dual TV/Radio production track ...

Producer #1208 at Austin Community Television ... Qualified on every piece of field and studio gear and all studios and edit bays (twice) ... going for a 3rd round, now. I can do this in 90 days if I can get the slots.

Also was a printer for Postal Instant Press and a Blueprint repro and spec pubs clerk, for architechture firm ... as student jobs.

Most of my old workmates are managing hospital/university/military IT sites, now ... not my idea of a good time ... I am admittedly a hack and a "cut-up" ... I like to play and have fun (in the lab or studio) ... I hate lot's of pressure ... too much of that in my youth.

I retired to develop an energy independent wildlife (ag restoration) ranch and to be a father and to support my (now) ex-wife ... An MBA/Org-Dev consultant that I met in the technology incubator's co-laboratory (she earns more than twice my best salary).

So ... I was burned out by the time I was 40 years old and the last 10 years has been something like "The Book of Job" (Ref. Holy Bible : pr. "jobe").

I have been shooting lots of local event footage, independently and collaborating as an audio tech for televised local community meetings, and such.

I have been editing with Media Studio Pro and Avid Express Pro and Vegas Platinum, for the most part and am about (any minute) to assemble my third DIY, NLE system.

I left lots of stuff out, but those are most of the highlights ... I've had my fun and been squeezed like a turnip.

Dang ... my fingers are getting sore.

= Al =

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Wow that seems like an exciting life. I still have a long road ahead of me I hope I have some variation in my work like you've had. You started in technology at 16? Darn I better try hard to beat that.

As for the home server when you say no do you mean the entire idea of a home server is bad?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
No ... I just like "peer-to-peer" configs ... for the home ... sharing of storage and print resources, among all the PC's, in a home, wherever it might make sense.

I just don't see the demands of home networking as justifying dedicated servers, except where they are very cheap or are needed for constant availability on "no power".

I have "judged" that most folks who "go in for" ho,e servers just plain like technology and/or have rather ambitious usage profiles.

I remember I interviewed, once, for a test-instrument manufacturer, here in Austin ... I asked the old engineer ... "hey, what kind of network are you guys running in this 3 building campus ??? ... He said, "Yo ... we have a 'Sneaker-Net' ". ... I stared back, inquisitively, and shrugged ... cocking my head ....

... He said, "When we want to transfer data from one computer, to another, we copy to floppy and walk it over to the other building". ... he said this most "matter-of-factly", in a dry and un-ashamed tone ....

... I just sat there ... jaw hanging open ... stupified ...

I think the interview was decided by both of us ... right there ... can't remember much else but that I disengaged and had a really great Tuna-Sub-Sandwich, on my way home, some several minutes later.

Why do old farts like to tell stories, so much ? ... prolly cvause they know that there is more in their past than in their future ... eh ??

= Hazz-Bin =

tecmo34

Administrator

After reading this... I thought your true identity was "Tony Stark" but than I realized you couldn't be him since you didn't say you were a billionaire [:mousemonkey:5]

Impressive history though... except I was disappointed to read you weren't truly an astronaut like your avatar :)