codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
since hot chips there have been many new anouncments about bulldozer but the main one i was intrested in was that bulldozer will be in a new socket (AM3+ maby) and this socket will still support old AM3 cpus ...i have found several places that state amd said it would, but it dosent apear everywhere wondered if anyone knew anything on this subject?

notty22

Distinguished
Its reported here, one of the many articles that popped up yesterday about BD, that it will get a new socket. BD will not install in AM3.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/amd-announces-8-core-bulldozer-cpu/
. The bad news is that it won’t be compatible with existing AM3 boards. Instead, AMD says it will introduce a new AM3+ socket. These sockets will be backward compatible with older chips so you could drop a Phenom II X6 in it.

Thats what it sounds like, which makes sense, if they need to add another power phase then it wont be able to drop into the older boards, but the newer one could pretend to be an older one for the older chips. Guess this means im going to need to upgrade my motherboard and CPU when i want to move up, oh well it was bound to happen.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yea. They said that it would've hindered Bulldozer's features if they didn't. I say go all out to make it the best performer, backwards compatibility is nice for the enthusiasts that upgrade, but it will help them more in the long run if they have a better performing chip.

ftqn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
yeah , as I know the new motherboard with am3+ socket will support the am3 and am2 cpu but the bus speed on the am2 cpu will be downgraded to 1000 Mhz fit in am3+ soket but if u put the am2 or am2+ cpu into socket am3+ or soon later am4 the bus speed also drops to 1000Mhz as the am2 cpu put in am3 socket they all will compatible! do not worry guys we are going to be ok!! Guys please be noticed all am2, am2+, and am3 not even am3+ or am4 socket. the all the CPU athlon X2 , athlon II X 2 X4 Phenom 2 X2 X4 X6 or 12 CPU THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME PINS so they will fit up to AM4 socket all compatible but the only difference is the bus speed will decrease if am2 cpu put in am3, am3+ and AM4 socket. and am3 CPU fits am3+ socket the bus speed is fine but if am3 CPU fits AM4 socket the bus speed will be decreased! so you guy all got that?????

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
well... maybe the bulldozer chips will be so cheap (like all AMD cpu's) and upgrading to a new mobo wont be so hard on your wallet/credit card/PayPal/etc/etc

Bulldozer will run on the AM3+ socket, this socket will support AM3 old CPUs but the AM3 won't support the new Bulldozer... see Wikipedia about that, they got a little info about it.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

it wont, based on two different architecture and the north bridge is no long exist which it will be a huge transition, just like 775 to 1366/1156.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

why would you be disappoint when sandy bridge also not support usb 3.0? usb 2.0's bandwidth is more than enough and if you want more bandwidth we can always have pcie port.

Thats pretty much it. AM2 CPUs only have a DDR2 memory controller where AM2+ and AM3 have both DDR2 and DDR3. But it doesn't explain why BD wont be able to work in a AM3 mobo.

If I were to guess, I would say it most likley the layout of the pins. AM3+ and BD probably have a bit different layout that is only in AM3+. Its almost like with some Intel chipsets that could only support the 65nm Core 2 based CPUs since the 45nm had a bit different pin layout while the more modern Intel chipsets could support both (normally from the 3 series and up although some older 9 series could support the 45nm CPUs).

But thats just a guess.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

simple, conroe/penryn were just a tweaked p6 architecture that glue with p4's quad data pump bus/bandwidth + some sse/instruction support that's all. their output operation weren't had any difference as they're still require a bus control north bridge and dedicate pcie controller and memory controller. since new bulldozer will integrate north bridge which older chipset will not support bd because of it. just like penryn and nehalem.

if nehalem cant place on 775 it won't be different for bulldozer on am3 anyway.

jf-amd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Pinout should be the same since both procs can run in an AM3+. There is no change in level of NB integration.

I am not in the client world, but as I understand it, AM3+ delivers better performance and more features; AM3 would have to compromise on those things.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Still better than Intel, at least you can buy a AM3 CPU (or if you have a spare), stick it in your old AM2 and upgrade to a better motherboard.

So much nicer than Intel with their concurrently produced LGA 775, 1155, 1156, 1366.

LGA775 wasn't bad. If you got a decent mobo in 2005/2006ish you could upgrade all the way to Penryn or if you wanted (not sure why anyone would want to) put a Pentium D into a newer mobo (ewwwwwww).

LGA1156 came out at the wrong time. It only really had 32nm while LGA1366 had 2 gens of CPUs.

My bet is that LGA1155 and LGA1355 or 2011 (or whatever Intel uses) will also support 2 generations while the next step after Ivy bridge, Haswell, will probably sport a new socket and possibly boast DDR4 since Intel said thats about when DDR4 should hit.

I mean major mArch changes, new memory tyes and all kinds of things can make it near impossible to use the same socket. Thats the reason, most likley, why AMD is not supporting BD in older sockets so they can really push it to be better than Phenom II.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Thing is, all these sockets will be sold in 2011.

Intel isn't ending LGA 775 until Q2 2011.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

that makes no sense, just cause intel isn't pushing USB 3.0 doesn't mean AMD shouldn't take the lead?