Ausmus

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hey everyone, I have been experiencing some issues with my desktop at home and have been unable to resolve the issues so far on my own. This machine has been running fine without issue for about 4 years.

To make a long story short, I start the machine and it is unable to find any bootable media because both of my HDD appear to not recieve power, my 2 optical drives as well. I pulled all 4 devices from the machine and tested each one individually with a SATA to USB adapter and none will power on fully. I did notice that the optical drives will heat up and exude heat from their controllers, as if they are powered, but they still will not open or be recognized as anything other than a USB mass storage device. The PSU still powers the machine on and recognizes my SSD, no other devices are recognized over SATA however.

Does this sound like my PSU shorted these devices out and they are fully dead? If so is there a way to tell if my PSU needs to be replaced?

Ausmus

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

I have unplugged everything from the PSU except the MB and case, and tested it with another HDD. It spins up when I try each 6pin in the back of the PSU; just not withthe original drives.

Is the PSU able to have an issue where it shorts connected devices but then seems to retain normal functionality? I would just hate to trash a nice Corsair PSU if it isn't truly dead.

Thanks!