Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ripped Off Again !!!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 26, 2011 8:27:13 PM

:fou: 
I was just charged $218 for a Geforce 6100PM-M2 !
I just read that this is a $40 Motherboared,
What would be a fair price for this board and be installed ???
He first said it was a virus, then said the board was bad,,
Even if it had a virus, $218 ?
Is that legal ? ,,, :fou:  :pfff: 

More about : ripped

March 26, 2011 9:07:39 PM

Just wanting some opinions here please,, Thank You .....
m
l
March 26, 2011 9:12:17 PM

who's"he"...a tech? did they deduce that there was a problem with your board and tell you that you need to switch it out? and charged for labor?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 78 V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 9:17:48 PM

Seems about right, repair labor is EXPENSIVE...

Dell charges $90 just to tell you what's wrong. Then $60--70 for the board, yeah there going to make it up too. Then installation charge for the motherboard.... and some taxes on all that $220 that's about right

NOW, next time your computers not working, just POST here and folks will be glad to help you fix it so FREE LABOR.....

SECOND Lesson, sorry this one's going to hurt... for that money you could have had a new CPU/MB/and RAM and it would have been far faster than what you have now.....

March 26, 2011 9:32:59 PM

Thanks,
Yes i got good advice here 2 weeks ago on a graphics card, and help on my installing iy myself,
After i installed it, I thought i needed help on setting the drivers, Thats when i took it to the "tech",, He said it had a virus then a week there he said my board was bad
Now , NEWEGG & TIGERDIRECT dont even show they even stock this crappy board
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 10:18:12 PM

Yes it's legal but it sound like the tech you used don't know what he is doing. uM It's a virus wait no your motherboard is bad...
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 10:37:07 PM

jb6684 said:

^+1 I agree, labor is expensive. Get a M.Benz and have your oil changed! Yikes.

Repairing Windows is a PITA much less if the Tech had to tear down your PC to test: MOBO, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU -- you'd hate my bill. I charge $1,000+ in labor to build a full Koolance water cooled rig: CPU block, MOBO block, 3-WAY GPU block and installing the controller, pump, rads, tubing, etc...and I'm a hobby builder and don't need the $.
m
l
March 26, 2011 11:29:45 PM

damn...$1000...is insurance included in that as well! watercooling doesn't look too difficult to set up...but I didn't know it was that expensive
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 11:36:29 PM

Hey, if your in ATL, Ga. I'll build any computer you want, you buy the parts, labor is FREE...............

Warranty, manufacturer's only, hey I'm not going to loose money helping you out........

Water cooled, nope, I'm a *** plumber but some of my air cooled builds are art work........

m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 1:05:20 AM

Try it.
Just to block a GPU:
p1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PowCYxMN20
p2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3BQpoxzzy4
p3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWCdC7xVjQ
final - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxZyykU9jSg

I build rigs like David including SR-2 where I've charged a lot more.

Putting together a CPU block only is simple if the GPUs are on air, or if the GPU is already blocked - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... also, it's the set-up. I rarely build for anyone 'snap' together PCs e.g. air; $250~$350 with 2/3/4-WAY or less w/single GPU. An on air build is boring, and takes no time.
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 1:21:34 AM

jaquith said:
I charge $1,000+ in labor to build a full Koolance water cooled rig: CPU block, MOBO block, 3-WAY GPU block and installing the controller, pump, rads, tubing, etc...and I'm a hobby builder and don't need the $.
What... You charged me $2,000 for building an Athlon II X3 450 setup on air with just a GTS 450 and no water cooling. :lol:  [:mousemonkey:5]

Just joking around with Jaquith... :pt1cable: 

m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 1:30:29 AM

The price is about right for a premium repair shop. Don’t forget that not only did he have to replace the motherboard he had also to reinstall the operating system and sort out the activation issues.
m
l
March 27, 2011 1:37:17 AM

damn..I have seen some very impressive watercooling setups...im planning on getting one done..but, I actually don't want to do it myself..im looking at that video..and, I'm certain I could learn how to do it..but, if I messed up I would never be able to forgive myself...it looks like hard work ...i suppose the price is justified
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 2:14:09 AM

tecmo34 said:
What... You charged me $2,000 for building

What are fiends for... ;) 

I understand how the OP feels, back in the 90's before I knew how to repair I had a Mac PowerPC 6100 and it wouldn't boot; 1@ home + 6 @ office - do that math :o  . For a house call I was charged $200. All the Tech did was to insert a repair CD. He had a Mac CD and a Norton SystemWorks CD. Needless to say I watched and immediately ordered the CD -- last time I paid for a PC repair. I back-up like a madman.

Servers are leased w/same day repair...and I build most of the others PC, Workstations - exception Mac Pro WS {AppleCare Protection Plan 3yr}.
m
l
March 27, 2011 2:42:45 AM

jb6684 said:
Hey, if your in ATL, Ga. I'll build any computer you want, you buy the parts, labor is FREE...............

Warranty, manufacturer's only, hey I'm not going to loose money helping you out........

Water cooled, nope, I'm a *** plumber but some of my air cooled builds are art work........

If I were in Atlanta, I could probably get 10 PC`s for that $218 down at the corner .....
I think next time i need a part, I`ll just buy a new pc,, seems to be the way to go
m
l
March 27, 2011 2:55:14 AM

pjmelect said:
The price is about right for a premium repair shop. Don’t forget that not only did he have to replace the motherboard he had also to reinstall the operating system and sort out the activation issues.

That is still a long way from a $40 board,,, $180 labor = Im in the wrong buisness,,Live & learn i guess,,
m
l
March 27, 2011 3:03:06 AM

jb6684 said:

Dell charges $90 just to tell you what's wrong. Then $60--70 for the board, yeah there going to make it up too. Then installation charge for the motherboard.... and some taxes on all that $220 that's about right

NOW, next time your computers not working, just POST here and folks will be glad to help you fix it so FREE LABOR.....

SECOND Lesson, sorry this one's going to hurt... for that money you could have had a new CPU/MB/and RAM and it would have been far faster than what you have now.....

Damn That Al Gore !
For inventing the internet anyway ! :bounce: 
Thanks for your reply, :D 
m
l
March 27, 2011 4:47:21 AM

Best answer selected by Tony G.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 5:09:18 AM

It is not hard to take the heatsink off a GPU and install a full water block. Give me a break maybe if you are 8 years old.
m
l
March 27, 2011 5:16:29 AM

you know what saying i like? "You gotta start somewhere"...so, yeah...perhaps it is easy..but if you asked me to build a computer 6 months ago I would have cowered and hired a tech and told you to eff off..now, i realize how easy it can be...but i wouldnt put someone down for not being capable of doing so..

We aren't all born with the knowledge or courage to perform certain tasks...we learn how to do things over time. What you perceive as easy, someone else will perceive as difficult..keep that in mind
m
l
!