Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems with my 9800gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 9:41:01 PM

hi guys, since i upgraded my 9400 to an 9800gt im having some problems, when im palying crysis or warhead, after like 5 mins or 10 mins of playing( some times it manages to keep going like for 20- 30 mins) the game stops responding and in the bottom a message appreas that the display driver stopped responding, after a while i asked a friend if he could borrow me his 8800 ultra to see if the problem was my graphics card and with that card i didnt had any porblems, i was able to finish crysis and crysis warhead with no problems, today i overclocked my card(the 9800 gt) but the display driver stopped responding after like 5 mins, then i tried with no overclock and it lasted a bit longer but the game freezed, the screen turned off, and the computer restarted for no reason, i dont know what to do know. thx guys,l i will appreciate some help

More about : problems 9800gt

May 19, 2010 10:26:52 PM

You can try re-installing the latest drivers, and avoid overclocking until you iron this issue out. Go to nvidia's official website: http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php
and download the drivers for your 9800gt.
Your driver may have become corrupted, or you just need an update for it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:28:56 PM

ninelivesproductions said:
You can try re-installing the latest drivers, and avoid overclocking until you iron this issue out. Go to nvidia's official website: http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php
and download the drivers for your 9800gt.
Your driver may have become corrupted, or you just need an update for it.

i have the lastest driverrs, but i will try downloading them again, thx ill tell u if that fixed the problem
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:33:48 PM

Hey Mega,

This is very strange, and ironically, I had the EXACT same issue with my old 9800 GX2 (which is two 9800 gt's in SLi). I could never find out the source of the issue. I wish you the best of luck in finding out what's causing this because I never could. My 9800 gx2 burned out before I could solve the problem and I ended up getting it replaced with a GTX 285, courtesy of EVGA.
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:35:57 PM

borisof007 said:
Hey Mega,

This is very strange, and ironically, I had the EXACT same issue with my old 9800 GX2 (which is two 9800 gt's in SLi). I could never find out the source of the issue. I wish you the best of luck in finding out what's causing this because I never could. My 9800 gx2 burned out before I could solve the problem and I ended up getting it replaced with a GTX 285, courtesy of EVGA.

ohh, that could be a good excuse to tell my dad to buy me a new video card, hahaha, i will se if i can fix the problems with the driver thing, and if not i sell the 9800 gt and buy a new one, a gtx 260 maybe, thx for answering anyways man
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:36:04 PM

Quick update, did some new google searching and found a post that may suggest one of two things:

Your memory timings are off. However, this would suggest that you have problems in other games as well (which wasn't the case for me)

OR

Your card is being UNDER powered. I just noticed you never posted what your Power Supply is. Could it be that Crysis is drawing your card to it's maximum power potential and your PSU can't handle it? For a single 9800 GT, that would be weird, but possible.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:37:16 PM

I believe that you have a cooling issue since that you said that the 8800gtx worked with out issue. Check your temps, inspect the cooler to see if it is clogged with dust and the fan is working correctly. Load riva tuner and set the fanspeed to max before gaming to help lower temps. Mind you that I own two of them and both are 1gb editions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:39:08 PM

borisof007 said:
Quick update, did some new google searching and found a post that may suggest one of two things:

Your memory timings are off. However, this would suggest that you have problems in other games as well (which wasn't the case for me)

OR

Your card is being UNDER powered. I just noticed you never posted what your Power Supply is. Could it be that Crysis is drawing your card to it's maximum power potential and your PSU can't handle it? For a single 9800 GT, that would be weird, but possible.

well i dont think its underpowered because i have a corsair tx650w PSU, the problems are just with very demanding games, like metro 2033 sometimes, modernwarfare 2 and crysis
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:42:52 PM

nforce4max said:
I believe that you have a cooling issue since that you said that the 8800gtx worked with out issue. Check your temps, inspect the cooler to see if it is clogged with dust and the fan is working correctly. Load riva tuner and set the fanspeed to max before gaming to help lower temps. Mind you that I own two of them and both are 1gb editions.

temp is at 68c maximum, i always run speedfan before gaming to be looking at my temps
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:44:32 PM

Check if the memory timings are off like boriso said, see if that works. BTW did you test the redownloaded drivers yet?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 10:46:17 PM

ninelivesproductions said:
Check if the memory timings are off like boriso said, see if that works. BTW did you test the redownloaded drivers yet?

i dont think is a driver problem because the 8800 ultra ran perfectly and were using the same driver, and how do i check if my memory timimgs are off or on. thx
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 11:29:44 PM

When we refer to memory timings, it's not necessarily a question of on or off, but how they're timed. Honestly, this is getting a bit out of my realm of knowledge. I know that for my RAM, I had to set it to 2t timing otherwise it would be super unstable. It's a setting in your BIOS. You might want to refer to your motherboard's manual and then also refer to your RAM's specifications to see what it's supposed to be at to confirm it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2010 11:53:26 PM

borisof007 said:
When we refer to memory timings, it's not necessarily a question of on or off, but how they're timed. Honestly, this is getting a bit out of my realm of knowledge. I know that for my RAM, I had to set it to 2t timing otherwise it would be super unstable. It's a setting in your BIOS. You might want to refer to your motherboard's manual and then also refer to your RAM's specifications to see what it's supposed to be at to confirm it.

mmmmmm, okay, i will see what i can do, thx
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 11:39:57 PM

Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
m
l
!