johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Just setup my new pc today but when I went into the bios it said cpu temperature was 45 degrees celsius so was a bit worried cause mt last cpu which was an e6300 2.8ghz and it was always around 30 degrees.

But in the bios it says low temperature should be 40 and high is 70.

Installed the asus pc probe II and it reads the cpu temperature around 35-45 degrees celcius but when I was installing drivers the asus probe warned cpu went up to 80 degrees but 1 minute later it was back at 40 so not sure how accurate the asus pc probe is. In the bios the temperature is between 40-55 degrees celsius

My cpu is an i7 870 and using stock heatsink and fan.

Any suggestions on what to do?

nvidiafanboi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
First of all, did you build yourself? it could be there is no thermal paste inbetween your heatsink and CPU. download a programme called CoreTemp or RealTemp. both of these temperature watchers are very accurate. post your readings after

BIOS temp readings are always higher than your idle temperature is once your OS is loaded because it doesnt activate any of the power saving features.

I use HW monitor to keep track of my temps. Because of the way heatsinks work you cannot get a quick spike in temp if the CPU is installed properly. Because you are using the stock intel heatsink double check that all of the push pins are in and locked.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah I built it myself but I applied thermal paste and heatsink is installed correctly. I have the cpu fan setting on turbo so its around 2000-2400 rpm.
I turned off the i7 870 turbo mode in case it was overclocking and generating extra heat.
I'll download those and check the temperature readings from them and let you know

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Downloaded core temp and at idle temperatures between 35-40 and got a game going but wasn't at full load and the highest temperature was 53 averaging about 48.

I just read some reviews and these seem normal enough temperatures for the i7 on its stock heatsink cause it is very small so think I'll invest in a new heatsink.

Any suggestions for a good lga1156 heatsink?
Abd thanks for the help.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ if you want it cheap. If you want quiet and decent heatsinks, try Noctua. They are very good if you can stand the color :)

Latest posts