Szustygesto

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello,
I replaced my power supply recently it has the same voltage, amps watts as my other one. But my 9800gt is squealing. Help me under standthis.
when its un plugged but connected to the mother board it runs and beeps a constant tone.

When its plugged in the computer wont turn on. or dies if running. Help.

Solution
When the video card is plugged in, the POST sequence recognizes it, which is why you're not getting the beep code. However, your PSU is pretty crappy, which is likely not enough to power the video card. That's why it's not booting up completely.

If you know someone who has a better quality PSU that you can borrow to test with, that would be ideal. Just remember, it has to be a quality PSU. If not, you may have to go on bite the bullet and buy one. This OCZ 550w is a great deal and very good PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022&Tpk=ocz%20550w
If you are hearing a constant loud beep from the video card, it means that it is not getting power from the PCIe power cable. You probably forgot to plug it in.

A motherboard RAM problem would generate a series of beeps from the motherboard speaker.

What PSU did you buy? Please provide brand and model, not just wattage.
It is normal for a GPU to beep (may be more like a scream) if the auxiliary power connector isn't plugged in.
OTOH, if your PC won't boot when it IS plugged in, either the PSU isn't able to hold up its end of the log, or you've got a short somewhere.

Szustygesto

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I replaced a Codegen, CG-ELCO-PX3
with a Coolmax V-500.
I didn't forget to plug my video card in. When it is plugged in the computer wont run.
Yet when my video card is Unplugged it will run with a constant beep.

The plugs i have remaining(unplugged) after every thing is hooked up:
FDD
SATA
and the 4 plug that's part of the motherboard one.

All the aux ones are used:
CD-rom(1)
Hdd(1)
Video card (2)

That Chokemax PSU (and the Codegen before it) is fecal.
A quality PSU will have full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and be 80+ certified. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. You could use a decent 400W-450W PSU for your system.

Edit: Oh, and you probably won't need to spend any more than $45-$50 for it. Check out the Antec Earthwatts (430W or 500W) in particular.

Szustygesto

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

So your saying my problem is the PSU itself? What would be wrong with it, my old one said "Switching power supply.

They were cheap units that had liar-labels on them, and were probably good for no more than 60%-75% of their claimed amperage. NEVER buy a cheap PSU; your entire system depends on it, and a cheap one may pass out-of-spec, damaging voltage under heavy load, or as it dies. The companies that sell them get away with this consumer fraud any number of ways, often including unrealistic temperature limitations (e.g. 25C) on their ratings even though 40C is a much more likely temperature inside a working PC.

When the video card is plugged in, the POST sequence recognizes it, which is why you're not getting the beep code. However, your PSU is pretty crappy, which is likely not enough to power the video card. That's why it's not booting up completely.

If you know someone who has a better quality PSU that you can borrow to test with, that would be ideal. Just remember, it has to be a quality PSU. If not, you may have to go on bite the bullet and buy one. This OCZ 550w is a great deal and very good PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022&Tpk=ocz%20550w

Solution

There is a $20 rebate on the OCZ I linked, so it's actually cheaper than the Antec. The rails are weak on the Antec, and I don't think I would call it higher quality. It is rated as more efficient though.

Szustygesto

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
So, i guess imma have to buy a better psu.
Btw it doesn't even boot up enough for 1 fan rotation.

I've been looking at the one aford10 suggested. Just one question. How important is the amperage? because the one i purchased sais +5V@45A

And the one aford10 suggested said +5v@25A i don't know how important amps are so just wondering.

Most components of a modern PC need +12V. That's further proof that your old one was an archaic design, inappropriate for a modern PC.
Please don't keep trying it; since it is overloaded, it may be pounding your system with spikes, doing more damage.