Sign in with
Your question

Are the parts compatible?

Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2010 7:14:18 PM

Before you read and reply, I need people who are giving me advice to address all issues I have presented here (denoted by underlined text). In my previous thread, there was a slight issue of several problems being ignored. I mean not to offend anyone, or duplicate threads, but I intend on having quicker responses that would really help me.

I need to know if these parts are compatible.

CPU/Processor - AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana
Motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 785G
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 Internal Hard Drive
Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc Black DVDR
Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W
Case - Raidmax Smilodon

Grand Total: $570.16

It'd be hard to convince me to modify any existing parts, so unless change is very beneficial, I probably won't take any suggestions for any different parts, with two exceptions:

1. I really had a debate with myself deciding on either the Raidmax Smilodon or the Antec Three Hundred as my case. The Antec Three Hundred seemed good, but the Raidmax Smilodon seems sexier and has more favorable reviews. The only advantages the Antec Three Hundred has over the Smilodon is that it's $5 cheaper, after I apply all the coupons, and that it has more cooling. But I really don't think that I would need intense cooling because I aim to play games like Sims 3 and Starcraft II, not Crysis or Modern Warfare.

2. I'm really concerned about the optical drive I chose because I'm not sure whether or not it would fit with the case. This is an issue of compatibility.

3. Will this build play, at best quality with smooth gameplay at a resolution of 1600 x 900, games like Civilization IV and V, Starcraft II, Sims 3, and Europa Universalis III? And to what modern day game (such as L4D or CoD) can this build extend to before going downhill?

More about : parts compatible

June 27, 2010 7:58:07 PM

First off, all of that hardware is compatible. You shouldn't run into any issues whatsoever.

1.) Cases are really down to preference. I think it's important to note that the RAIDMAX uses some 80mm fans, which can be quite noisy; it also uses 120mm fans. The Antec case uses 120mm fans, as well as a 140mm fan. Generally speaking, the Antec would yield not only superior airflow, but also a reduction in noise. I'd go for the Antec personally, but again, it's entirely up to what you prefer.

2.) Any optical drive will with in any case with a 5.25" drive bay, which both the cases you listed have. Being SATA it will also work just fine with your motherboard.

3.) It's hard to say at this point in time how you'll be able to run games, but I'll do my best to estimate. With my current system (C2D @ 2.67GHz, 3GB of DDR2, 8800GTS), I game at 1680x1050 generally. Every Call of Duty title I've been able to play with the highest graphics settings at this resolution. Sims3 didn't even bother my system. Left for Dead again doesn't yield much of a challenge. Now taking this into consideration, your system has a CPU with more cores, a higher clock rate, more, faster RAM, and a much better Graphics Card. You system shouldn't have any issues, in my opinion.

Hopefully I addressed all your questions in the manner you were hoping for. Good luck.
June 27, 2010 11:00:57 PM

Pyroflea said:
First off, all of that hardware is compatible. You shouldn't run into any issues whatsoever.

1.) Cases are really down to preference. I think it's important to note that the RAIDMAX uses some 80mm fans, which can be quite noisy; it also uses 120mm fans. The Antec case uses 120mm fans, as well as a 140mm fan. Generally speaking, the Antec would yield not only superior airflow, but also a reduction in noise. I'd go for the Antec personally, but again, it's entirely up to what you prefer.

2.) Any optical drive will with in any case with a 5.25" drive bay, which both the cases you listed have. Being SATA it will also work just fine with your motherboard.

3.) It's hard to say at this point in time how you'll be able to run games, but I'll do my best to estimate. With my current system (C2D @ 2.67GHz, 3GB of DDR2, 8800GTS), I game at 1680x1050 generally. Every Call of Duty title I've been able to play with the highest graphics settings at this resolution. Sims3 didn't even bother my system. Left for Dead again doesn't yield much of a challenge. Now taking this into consideration, your system has a CPU with more cores, a higher clock rate, more, faster RAM, and a much better Graphics Card. You system shouldn't have any issues, in my opinion.

Hopefully I addressed all your questions in the manner you were hoping for. Good luck.

After reading your response, I wondered how noisy the 80mm fans were. While in the process of finding out, I discovered that my father's computer, which is right next to mine, has 80mm fans, and I barely notice the sound most of the time (probably since I'm too busy to notice it whenever I'm on the computer). I'm going to stick with the RAIDMAX then.

Thanks, you've really helped me.
!