5770 drivers and framrates

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
so my HIS 5770 arrived today but i have a few questions.

1st after a few hours of gaming i had a BSOD crash. but iv only installed drivers from the disk and havent got new ones from the Ati website. will the newest drivers most likely stop any crashes?

2nd ok all the frame rates are about normal. but why is it that the games seem to have a fps limit of 60? does it have something to do with screen refresh rate? is there anyway i can get games to go higher then 60fps if its not in the game settings?

Solution
Always install the drivers from the website. They will most likely solve your problem. The ones on the disk are usually very old.

IDK bout 60fps. Why does that matter anyway?

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
also which of these should i get?

ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver

ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver for Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit

ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver for Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit - Motherboard/IGP Drivers

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
If you are running a tft monitor 60fps is likely the limit of how many frames a second your screen can actually display (60hz). Sending more frames per second to your screen can cause horizontal tearing of the screen image, this is where vsync comes in. Enabling vsync caps the framerate to the 60fps that your screen can actually display, so eliminating any tearing. Disabling vsync allows your graphics card to output the max number of frames that it can actually produce, but since a tft cannot display the extra frames, and it also has the tearing effect it is totally pointless!

Lopok

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
just disable the VSync option in the video options of the game and get the 10.4 drivers from ati's website, it seems with these drivers your wei score should go from 7.4 to a 7.6