Sign in with
Your question

5870 Vapor-X 2GB Coil Whine! Got a Video of it!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2010 2:43:30 AM

Ok, I know I'm keeping these forums really active right now about the video cards etc, but I decided to post a video up of the coil whine on my 5870. This is Sapphire's latest 5870 Vapor-X with the 2gb of ram, tell me what you think, it is VERY noticeable and quite loud at times, what would you do? :o 

Please tell me THAT loud of coil whine is NOT tolerable? or am I just crazy?
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 2:50:14 AM

well a few days ago some one else posted having the same issue. There is a DIY fix for this but RMA is you best solution at this point. You need to look into an RMA soon because any one of the coils on that card could fail. When coils squeal they are vibrating and also expand due to heat, by doing so the windings can wear away at the insulation and can create shorts that can weaken the strength of the coil or worse fail that stage. If a VRM stage fails the card may become unusable or worse dead all together,
m
l
May 20, 2010 3:09:05 AM

nforce4max said:
well a few days ago some one else posted having the same issue. There is a DIY fix for this but RMA is you best solution at this point. You need to look into an RMA soon because any one of the coils on that card could fail. When coils squeal they are vibrating and also expand due to heat, by doing so the windings can wear away at the insulation and can create shorts that can weaken the strength of the coil or worse fail that stage. If a VRM stage fails the card may become unusable or worse dead all together,

Ugh, I think I'm just done with ATI for this run. I'll be returning the card tomorrow and picking up a EVGA GTX 480, down the road I'll just slap a quiet cooler on it. I have NEVER spent this much $$ on a video card and for BOTH of them to have this annoying problem, and randomly crash is just too much, I look at the GTX 480 owners and now they seem to be rock solid. Done deal.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 4:16:21 AM

I can promise you it's not coming from the power supply lol the video card is quite far away from it and my PSU is dead silent, though it is a Corsair. I can even locate the specific coil that is doing it
m
l
!