comp problems

My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does start it
will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to last
known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from CD
(after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will scroll
the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until I
finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.
7 answers Last reply
More about comp problems

    When attempting to boot from the CD, you often have to watch for a message a
    few screens into the boot process asking you to hit any key if you wish to
    boot from the CD. Did you watch for that message and do as instructed.

    If not, try again as outlined above and then try a repair install as
    outlined below:
    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
    instructing you
    to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
    you see this be sure to
    hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
    to boot from the CD, it's too
    late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
    "Setup Windows,"
    NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    Note, in some cases, you won't receive the repair option, only an option to
    reinstall. We have discovered that sometimes this is caused by damaged
    boot.ini file that can be repaired as follows and also note, in the
    instructions, "K" refers to the CD drive in which you have placed the XP CD,
    replace that drive letter with the appropriate letter on your system, "K" is
    simply an example.

    Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option (this is the section I told
    you to skip above. In this case, you will need to get to the Recovery
    Console to perform the function below), and if the CD letter is say K: give
    these commands

    COPY K:\i386\ntldr C:
    COPY K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:
    (two other files needed - just in case)
    ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\boot.ini
    DEL C:\boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild

    Once you've completed this function, reboot and see if you can access XP as
    sometimes, the problem is the damaged boot.ini. If you still cannot access
    XP, then reboot and re-run the repair install instructions at the beginning
    of this message.

    If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
    either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
    above
    among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
    routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
    files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does start
    > it
    > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to last
    > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from CD
    > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will scroll
    > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until I
    > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

    Hi

    You may have to alter the boot sequence in the BIOS so as to boot from the
    CD.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does start
    > it
    > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to last
    > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from CD
    > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will scroll
    > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until I
    > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

    Sigh new problem while at work brother used win98 startup disk to reformat
    hard drive. Trying to reinstall xp the system will stop to protect my
    computer (blue screen with white writing at top left corner) during the
    which file system to use). Could formating with the 98 startup disk cause a
    problem with xp loading? xp uses fat32 becouse that is what this comp is
    using with xp.
    The error message tells me to check the drivers and such but it has no OS on
    it to have drivers other then the ones that windows cd loads.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You may have to alter the boot sequence in the BIOS so as to boot from the
    > CD.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups.
    >

    > "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does start
    > > it
    > > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to last
    > > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from CD
    > > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    > > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will scroll
    > > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until I
    > > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

    Yes, now boot from the CD as outlined in my other post in this thread or in
    my instructions below only instead of a repair install, do the following to
    format and start over:

    --

    > Sigh new problem while at work brother used win98 startup disk to reformat
    > hard drive. Trying to reinstall xp the system will stop to protect my
    > computer (blue screen with white writing at top left corner) during the
    > chose
    > which file system to use). Could formating with the 98 startup disk cause
    > problem with xp loading? xp uses fat32 becouse that is what this comp is
    > using with xp.
    > The error message tells me to check the drivers and such but it has no OS
    > on
    > it to have drivers other then the ones that windows cd loads.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> You may have to alter the boot sequence in the BIOS so as to boot from
    >> the
    >> CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups.
    >>

    >> "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does
    >> > start
    >> > it
    >> > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to
    >> > last
    >> > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from
    >> > CD
    >> > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    >> > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will
    >> > scroll
    >> > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until
    >> > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

    Sorry, I hit send too quickly on that last post, here are the instructions:
    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    A few screens into the boot process, if you see the message on the boot
    screen to "Press any key in order to boot from the CD," do so.

    After loading drivers and files, you should be taken to a screen with
    the following:

    To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R.
    To Quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    In your case, press ENTER.

    Agree to the License agreement by pressing F8.

    You will then be taken to a screen with two options.

    To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    press ESC.

    This will bring you to a partition map where you
    can delete, create and format partitions.
    Select the drive you wish to format, delete the partition, then create a new
    partition, format as desired and continue with XP installation.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sigh new problem while at work brother used win98 startup disk to reformat
    > hard drive. Trying to reinstall xp the system will stop to protect my
    > computer (blue screen with white writing at top left corner) during the
    > chose
    > which file system to use). Could formating with the 98 startup disk cause
    > problem with xp loading? xp uses fat32 becouse that is what this comp is
    > using with xp.
    > The error message tells me to check the drivers and such but it has no OS
    > on
    > it to have drivers other then the ones that windows cd loads.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> You may have to alter the boot sequence in the BIOS so as to boot from
    >> the
    >> CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups.
    >>

    >> "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does
    >> > start
    >> > it
    >> > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to
    >> > last
    >> > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from
    >> > CD
    >> > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    >> > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will
    >> > scroll
    >> > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until
    >> > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks for all the help, got it loaded found out we had a bad mem chip. I
    wonder if that had been problem all along, oh well glad I back up all the
    comps around here often.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does start
    > > it
    > > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to last
    > > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from CD
    > > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    > > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will scroll
    > > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until I
    > > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Yes, a bad memory chip can cause this or other problems.

    Glad you got it resolved, good luck.

    --

> [...]
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "angmair" <angmair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My computer will not start it just keeps restarting, or if it does
    >> > start
    >> > it
    >> > will bring up random error messages. I have already tried to boot to
    >> > last
    >> > known good configuration that did not work. I have tried to boot from
    >> > CD
    >> > (after making the cd main boot) and it just passes cd and goes right to
    >> > harddrive. I cannot get into any of the safe modes, the screen will
    >> > scroll
    >> > the files it needs but after that nothing, it will just sit there until
    >> > finally turn computer off. I have waited up to 30 min.

Configuration Boot CD-Rom Windows XP